Board Logo

Moral Question
chickenfillet - August 23rd, 2009 at 08:00 PM

Hello Dubbers,

I came back to this lovely scratch on the Karmann today, the person who did it buggered off toot sweet but a lovely old lady who saw it happen left a note with their car details.

What should I do, just cop it sweet or start involving the police?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Cheers,
Kevin

Craig Torrens - August 23rd, 2009 at 08:07 PM

are you insured ?

did the lovely old lady leave her details ?

grumble - August 23rd, 2009 at 08:08 PM

You can make a self report on the damage,obviously the police won't really want to do anything as it will involve paperwork,did the old lady leave her details as she will be your witness? Sometimes it is easier to cop it sweet but the bad taste still lingers.Obviously it is going to cost you money to have it repaired and why should you be out of pocket.I think it is worth going through the exercise even if the only result is that the creep knows that he was seen and will pay for the repair and hopefully won't do it again.

Yogie - August 23rd, 2009 at 08:08 PM

People shit me that do things like this. Contact the registration authority in your state for the owners details and then phone them and tell them they were seen damaging your car and ask for their insurance details. If they play dumb, send the details to your insurance company and they can sue them for the damage. Why should they get away with damaging your property without paying for it.

Yogie

chickenfillet - August 23rd, 2009 at 08:22 PM

The lady left her name and number and said she is fine to be a witness if needed. I have my insurance with Shannons but I'm guessing the repair will be less than the excess, just don't know if the police will be able to do anything anyway.

Kev

helbus - August 23rd, 2009 at 08:25 PM

A scratch like that may not have been felt by the poorly trained driver of the other vehicle. iPods, GPS's. Phones, makeup are seemingly being more important these days than concentrating on driving.

comrade38 - August 23rd, 2009 at 09:05 PM

I had a truck run down the side of my Kombi while parked in Balmain, he either didn't know he did it or just drove off. A resident in the street left the details of the truck and her contact details. I made a report to the police (for insurance purposes only) didn't expect them to do anything, then I contacted my insurance company NRMA to make a claim, as I had a witness and had made a police report the claim was not treated at fault and I did not have to pay an excess, if I had copped it, then minimum it would have cost me $400 for the excess on the insurance. The insurance company then chase the truck owner etc for the cost of damages and you go merrily on your way.
So I agree with grumble, make a report to the police and if insured claim and let the insurance company follow up. If not insured it gives you the opportunity to chase yourself later.

68AutoBug - August 23rd, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Whilst driving in Sydney traffic, a truck came round too close and wiped the Drivers side mirror off... My Wife's Lancer...

as she was sitting at traffic lights and couldn't get details..

so, I had to get another mirror etc...
still haven't painted it as yet..

luckily it wasn't the doors...

I'd hate to damage a hand built car like the Karmann ghia...

LEE

vw54 - August 24th, 2009 at 07:42 AM

you will have to advise the Police if you want to claim on Insurance

all Insurance companies insist on you doing this so they have someone to recover costs from

chickenfillet - August 24th, 2009 at 09:14 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm off to see the Police this morning. Just in case they ask, ay idea what a repair like this would cost?

Cheers,
Kevin

vw54 - August 24th, 2009 at 09:20 AM

yeah what ever number you think off

DOUBLE it for sure

polak - August 24th, 2009 at 01:24 PM

depending on how colour matching will go and how far u will need to paint to i can probably get my mate to fix it for around the 400 mark max, thats to do it properly, if u want to just paint upto the body trim it will obviously be less.... is there a dint too or just the scratch?

chickenfillet - August 24th, 2009 at 01:36 PM

Thanks for that Polak, there is no real ding but the scratch goes through to the undercoat. If anyone could recommend a repairer who would do a good job, please let me know.

I just got back from the police and they are chasing the guy who did it later today, if he admits fault they will charge him and take him to court. If not apparently they have to bring the witness in and get her to ID the guy. Jez!

T-34 - August 24th, 2009 at 04:22 PM

Report it to the Police - not only have they damaged your car - but they have also left the scene of an accident, which is an offense. They can argue that they were not aware that they had hit your car - in which case they are guilty of another offense - driving without undue care and attention. Either way they're screwed. Try to get the Police to press charges.

You have a witness - so as already stated they don't really have a leg to stand on - plus the fault is theirs so you keep your XS.

I had someone stove in the side of my freshly restored Mini many years back - unfortunately no-one saw it and so I was left with similar damage on a two week old paint job. - was gutted - and very pissed off. Never did get it fixed.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

vw54 - August 24th, 2009 at 07:30 PM

Quote:

apparently they have to bring the witness in and get her to ID the guy. Jez!

thtas exactly what happened with me had to go to court

T-34 - August 24th, 2009 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vw54
Quote:

apparently they have to bring the witness in and get her to ID the guy. Jez!

thtas exactly what happened with me had to go to court

She already has ID'd them - she took down the registration number and a description of the car colour / type etc. It's the car she ID's not the driver.

If the police go check it out - there's probably red paint on the accused car.

Also doesn't matter who was driving it - no 'ID parade' required - the owner is responsible for insuring it - regardless of who is in the drivers seat. So you should get paid out - even if it wasn't the owner behind the wheel at the time.

If the driver want's to contest the claim - it could very well go to court and the witness may have to testify to verify their statement. But after all - it's a minor traffic offense - not a murder case - The owner would have to be very ill advised to try to take it to court - they have a lot more to lose than their no claims bonus (court costs etc).

chickenfillet - August 24th, 2009 at 08:50 PM

Cheers Guys,

I'll let you know how I get on, if anyone knows a good painter who would be interested please feel free to give me a shout on 0409 767048.

Thanks again,
Kevin

helbus - August 24th, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Have you got good paint? If there are any blemishes or dull spots in the existing paint, then it will have to go to bare metal to paint it properly.

Quote:
Originally posted by chickenfillet
Cheers Guys,

I'll let you know how I get on, if anyone knows a good painter who would be interested please feel free to give me a shout on 0409 767048.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Boostn - August 25th, 2009 at 02:53 AM

What state are you in?
In Vic Shannons allow us to repair the cars properly as they should be done.
I would paint the rear of the car blending through the rear pillars. This way you will never tell the car has been repaired.
You can paint that area like others have said, but it will be obvious to the trained eye and will get worse in years to come as the different paint fades differently.

chickenfillet - August 25th, 2009 at 08:50 AM

The paint is in pretty good nick, it looks a bit flat in the first photo as the car had been sitting in the garage for a month or so. This is what the paint looks like with a wax. It has had a few blow overs in it's time so I think doing the back in one go is a great idea, even if I can't do it through Shannons. I am in NSW and have been with Shannons for 7-8 years so I hope they will sort it properly.

Again if anyone could recommend a painter who would like to take it on, please get in touch, my number is 0409 767 048.

Cheers,
Kevin

chickenfillet - August 25th, 2009 at 08:52 AM

and the rear...

frank2112 - August 25th, 2009 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by T-34
Report it to the Police - not only have they damaged your car - but they have also left the scene of an accident, which is an offense. They can argue that they were not aware that they had hit your car - in which case they are guilty of another offense - driving without undue care and attention. Either way they're screwed. Try to get the Police to press charges.

You have a witness - so as already stated they don't really have a leg to stand on - plus the fault is theirs so you keep your XS.

I had someone stove in the side of my freshly restored Mini many years back - unfortunately no-one saw it and so I was left with similar damage on a two week old paint job. - was gutted - and very pissed off. Never did get it fixed.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

I agree. Happened to my uncle years ago. someone backed into his car an took off. Got the fright of their lives when the cops turned up on their doorstep to question them. If you have a witness they don't really have a leg to stand on. If nothing else it means you wont have to pay your excess.

colonel mustard - August 25th, 2009 at 09:29 AM

That's a beautiful KG you have there mate. looks awesome. North, mid, or South NSW? what about Das Resto Haus? Not From NSW, so can't reconmend any painters in down that way - just wanted to say your car rocks :)

chickenfillet - August 25th, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Hi Mustard,

Cheers, I really love the old thing. The original owner had it from new and babied it it's whole life. I'm in the inner west of Sydney, should have expected some damage sooner! I tried Alan but he is a very busy man, if I can't find anyone local I will book him in to do the full job.

Cheers,
Kev

DaveCarter - August 25th, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Shannons should be good with it. I had my roof jumped in in my driveway and they were cool with paying for the panel beating and painting the roof and the bonnet and we payed for the rest. Was a bad situation but turned out good in the end. They even paid for half a hood lining because it had to be dropped to fix the roof. We got mine painted at Cool Top at peakhurst. They did a great job and the guy has been doing beetles for a long time. He does old holdens and stuff to. I'm sure he will give a Ghia a go. From memory he wanted $6k for a baremetal respray and do the roof on the bug and we took it down as a rolling shell. That was pretty reasonable for the quality and what i have heard of other quotes. You should give him a go for a quote.

Boostn - August 30th, 2009 at 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chickenfillet
The paint is in pretty good nick, it looks a bit flat in the first photo as the car had been sitting in the garage for a month or so. This is what the paint looks like with a wax. It has had a few blow overs in it's time so I think doing the back in one go is a great idea, even if I can't do it through Shannons. I am in NSW and have been with Shannons for 7-8 years so I hope they will sort it properly.

Again if anyone could recommend a painter who would like to take it on, please get in touch, my number is 0409 767 048.

Yes that is my point.
The car looks awesome so it should be fixed properly.

Any progress with the guilty car scratcher?
Cheers,
Kevin

chickenfillet - October 1st, 2009 at 04:28 PM

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update on the KG. I got in touch with Shannons (and the coppers) who recommended a restoration shop in Arncliffe - once there they decided the only way to do it properly was to take out the glass and buzz it all back.

So we decided to do a mini resto at the same time and get rid of the some of the little dings and ripples. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics but will take some decent pics when it's all back together.

Cheers,
Kev

chickenfillet - October 1st, 2009 at 04:30 PM

...and as an anniversary present my wife bought me these Cokers!