Board Logo

new engine
BigBear - August 30th, 2009 at 08:14 PM

have been told that to save ma Dub, i may need to look into getting a reconditioned engine, ok , so where from, who from and how much, also what about the quality your getting?

am in north lakes 26 k north bris vegas,

any and all help greatly appreciated!

ian.mezz - August 30th, 2009 at 08:19 PM

http://www.mickmotors.com.au/ 

http://www.vwma.net.au/sb_clients/vwma/bin/vwma_links.cfm?vm_key=6AD590F8-142...

Bizarre - August 30th, 2009 at 09:21 PM

how much do you want to spend??

what size motor??

You going to do any work yourself??

Is your exhaust, clutch, carb etc etc useable??

look at any where from (supply only from a shop) $1500 for a fresh top end to $3k for a "new"
less for 2nd hand do your self
more for drive in drive out with "everything" done

colonel mustard - August 30th, 2009 at 09:26 PM

Mate, what year is your car? what are you looking for.... I know of a 1641 freshly built, located in jindalee. The guy also does rebuilds and stuff... PM for details...

BigBear - August 31st, 2009 at 08:27 PM

Fellas

Thanks for all replies so far, tried to pm you all back, but 5 post rules strikes!!
I have a 1970, 1600, 3 Speed Auto.

i am flapping a bit as I'm no mechanic, have a buddy who is an ex Vw nut! would like to do more, but need as much advice on this engine gig!

coletrickle - August 31st, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Matt berry motorsport i'm over the moon with my 2332,It drives like a stocker no it drives better than a stocker!He's not the cheapest but if your down rochedale way I'll take you for a ride and you can see what his work is like.

Bookwus - August 31st, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Hiya Bear,

That you are driving an AutoStick may change the nature of the game somewhat.

Basically, VW engines are VW engines. But the engine for an AutoStick is a little different in a couple of ways. It has a special dual oil pump that the manual engine does not. The AutoStick engine also has a flexplate instead of a flywheel. And there are a couple of other differences. All of which to say.............you cannot just buy any old engine and expect it to be a bolt-in on your AutoStick.

I'm thinking that you might want to be talking to a rebuilder who will rebuild your current engine and reuse/recondition some of your existing parts.