Board Logo

BMW axles into Bay Kombi
TheMiniMan - August 31st, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Ok, i`m sticking this here for everyone cause i think it will get the best air-play for a while (till the mods decide it`s meant to be in one of the many other sections)

Bay window Kombi axle upgrades can fit after-market (empi or other) diff drive flanges,,, & get the outer flanges (stub axles) modded to suit same diam & stud pattern as BMW or porsche) & then you can fit BMW 7-series (E32) CV joints & axles

I`ve just done the home work (altho many other probably have already) & found that they`re the very same length assys ,,, just have to swap (or mod) the flanges both ends & change the bolts up to fine thread metric M10, instead of p!$$y little M8 bolts

The E32 BMW 7-series CVs are the same diam & bolt pattern as Porsche 930 turbo but a hell of a lot easier & cheaper to get

so,,, there you go

I`m onto it :-) & just thought i`d share my findings

Hope this helps anyone

Turbo54 - September 1st, 2009 at 08:59 AM

Hi Miniman,
So I have set my box up with kombi flanges and type 181 stub axles. Therefore I could do the above conversion?
I have no CV's or axles yet and these are next on my list. Are you willing to do sets or just putting it out there.
I know Dangerous runs commodore CV's which are strong and cheap but need modifying extensively.
My rear end has also been narrowed so I have been told to machine the ends of the CV's instead of cutting the axles.
Is this what you mean by mod the flanges both ends?

Good one
T54

matberry - September 1st, 2009 at 09:35 AM

Turbo 54, your set up is for type 2 cv's, not the 930/crapodore or bmw. Sorry.
I believe the bmw's are the same as porsche 930 but the commodore uses a thinner but same diameter which is strong but wont do the angle that the bigger Porsche/bmw units do.
The axle length issue will be different as it sounds like yours is a beetle, minimans is a bay kombi.