Board Logo

Considering buying this as a daily .. any advice? HAD A RESPONSE FROM SELLER
DUB64 - September 5th, 2009 at 08:45 PM

Well I have looked at BMW and FTO's but I keep coming back to Beetles.

Looking at buying this as a daily driver

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VW-Beetle_W0QQitemZ180401997858QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_C...

Any advice, warnings, help?

I am very very nervous buying unseen but the auction ends tomorrow :(.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

STIDUB - September 5th, 2009 at 08:56 PM

says no dents or rust, buy it, but when u pick up you will probably find some, if so the description isnt correct so you could get out of the contract to buy?

DUB64 - September 5th, 2009 at 08:58 PM

LOL awesome point, will definately look at that one.

Great advice already gee AVD is awesome!

whatnow - September 5th, 2009 at 09:20 PM

if you intend to drive it daily, 5km per day of 40km? city or country? being a late model it is a little better able to cope with heavy traffic. aka it has better brakes and a little more go to avoid the idiots we share our roads with. edit: it is a non super 73 so it has front drums, maybe not so good for a heavy commute after all.

most importantly can you do your own maintance or are you willing to learn? if you will be doing a lot of km's and can't/won't work on it yourself it is going to get expensive really quickly.

i used to bank on having to spend at least $1000 on any car i bought to get it to where i wanted it. that was years ago so now it would most likely be closer to $2000. keep it in mind when you work out what you have to spend.

as for the car itself, it presents very nicely, but i would prefer to see some pics of under the carpet under the bonnet, under the seat covers and of the inner guards etc. msg the seller and ask for some more pics. if he/she wants the best $ for their car they will take the time to do so. i would also ask if they have any pics of before the respray or of any rust work done prior to make sure it isn't 3/4 putty.

with a little luck someone on here will know the car and give you an honest opinion on it.

have fun.

DUB64 - September 5th, 2009 at 09:25 PM

STI and whatnow, great advice.

Pity I didn't see this earlier and had more time.

What do you all think a fair price is?

Thanks again every1 some really really really clever and well thought out advice.

AVD the best vehicle forum around (mind you aus300zx was gr8 too)

colonel mustard - September 5th, 2009 at 09:26 PM

It looks nice :) but expect to have to spend money still...

68AutoBug - September 6th, 2009 at 12:08 AM

[color=red]

Hi
this looks like a great beetle to buy...
the $6000 spent means its in good condition...
or part of it is...
the 73 NON Supers are good cars...
Ball joint front end...
this one has a 1500 engine..
drum brakes are all the Yanks had in their beetles right up to 1978.. so they can't be that bad...
just keep them adjusted... they will work well...
unless you drive thru a river crossing.. lol

Best of luck

LEE

greedy53 - September 6th, 2009 at 01:34 AM

well mate that looks great and the price is great,see if the seller can get a pic of any part under stuff like mats front. and back seat if these are ok that would do me
good luck

DUB64 - September 6th, 2009 at 07:06 AM

This is a message I got from the seller in relation to the car.

Sounds pretty good to me although the paint bit is a little worry.

This is what he wrote

"Motor, All rubbers doors boot bonnet, Axle boots, Slave cylinders in brakes, Clutch,Interior trim & seat covers, Bumpers front and rear, Body mounts, steering wheel, new exhaust system and tail pipes, head liner supplied but not fitted, Tyres & formula one wheels & Complete respray.
Paint job is average but due to bad oven but will be great with a good polish,sealed beam lights, guard beading, seat covers wool,new brakes and wheel hubs, guard beading, wipers and blades.
I would have absolutely no hesitation in driving the car anywahere. Keep in mind that it is a 30 plus year old car but what i have spent on it is very genuine and i have documented evidence of all expenditure
Cheers"

I am gonna call him this morniing (after fathers day festivities). Anything other than what has been mentioned previously to ask you think?

DUB64 - September 6th, 2009 at 02:15 PM

Sold for $3,906.00

I think a bargain but sadly not to me!

I couldn't get over buying a car without seeing it or having someone else see it.

Bit shattered actually, hope the sale falls through then I can swoop in!