Board Logo

Type 1 Turn key motors
ringoschariot - September 22nd, 2009 at 04:22 PM

Has anyone imported a turnkey motor form the USA?

if so, what sort of customs duty were you hit with? If the motor is a remanufactured unit, would it be classified as used parts which are duty free?

Is there anyone in Aus selling complete turn key motors?

vw54 - September 22nd, 2009 at 05:18 PM

yep Vintage 02-9789-1777 will build you what you want or need

first things first do u have budget this will determine what you can get

second thing do u know what u want in the motor and what car you u need it for

grumble - September 22nd, 2009 at 06:50 PM

I believe Mick Motors import complete new longblocks,just add your ancilliary parts and drive away.

coletrickle - September 22nd, 2009 at 08:52 PM

I recently purchased a turn key engine from Matt Berry Motorsport.He does custom engine builds etc.Mine is a 2332 48 idas etc 140hp@wheels on 98 octane its probally more than anybody needs for an everyday motor but i use it everyday.If you are going to warrick come and say hello and if you've got $2 i'll take you for a spin!

colonel mustard - September 22nd, 2009 at 09:10 PM

Im bringing some $2 coins col...

coletrickle - September 22nd, 2009 at 09:32 PM

I'm only gonna drive it slow thats the best bit about my new engine how good it drives at slow speed!And if i can get a few people who are thinking of buying a new engine or gearbox to cough up $2 I'm sure they will consider it an investment in what they should get for their money and maybe get them to ask questions of their potential engine/gearbox builders I personally know of a guy who worked at a shop in brissy they built a buggy with a 2332?2442 can't quite rember it was a while ago and it didn't have the power of my 1600 with 45 delortos but im sure it would read great in a magazine pretty sure the owner was dissapointed to say the least.But in the end you need to have a rough idea of what you want to acheive with you potential new engine and have a rough idea of budget be prepared to reassess your inital dreams!

andrewmurphy - September 27th, 2009 at 01:08 PM

give customs a call. didn't Austrialia and the Yanks sign a free trade agreement. if so that means duty free. not sure about GST though.

Jay_1965vw - September 28th, 2009 at 08:16 AM

You can check duty on the customs website (if you have patience!)
GST is payable on anything big you import.