Board Logo

Alum bodied 550 Spyder replica
Sides - December 11th, 2009 at 02:45 PM

Heard a whisper that Sleeping Beauties in Brisbane were working on 3 aluminium bodied 550 Spyder replicas... checked their website and found ...this....

Thought it might interest a few on here...

;)

vw54 - December 11th, 2009 at 03:02 PM

the question is WHY very exiee

with a decent engine heaps of power to burn even with a plastic body

Sides - December 11th, 2009 at 04:49 PM

I dunno - to me there's just somethin about being almost indistinguishable from the real thing cos of the ally body, rather than just looking like one with a glass body... not that I'd knock back a glass bodied one tho !!!

;)

HappyDaze - December 11th, 2009 at 05:03 PM

http://imgcash4.imageshack.us/img692/1507/57683052.th.jpg 

Aluminium would no doubt be 'special', but few would pay the extra money. My car, a Beck 'glass' replica, with a 911T engine, 914 (5 speed) gearbox, wish-bone rear end, and 356 brakes is real buzz to drive.

Cheers, Greg

PS Hope the pic turns out - still haven't mastered that stuff yet!

Sides - December 11th, 2009 at 05:22 PM

Sounds like a ton of fun Greg... especially if you give it as much as the beetle !!!

(assume your avatar photo is from the nats)

HappyDaze - December 11th, 2009 at 05:25 PM

Winton, actually.

BrisDubba - December 13th, 2009 at 02:32 PM

I have seen these in the shop and the workmanship is pretty special, though for 120K I guess you would want it looking good.

I am with you Dave, I am not picky, if they made them in alfoil I would have one.

There was one down at Cars n Cigars this morning - the event that Crazy Col kicked off - it was LHD I didnt get a close look but good enough to know I wanted one.

Peter

coletrickle - December 13th, 2009 at 05:18 PM

120k for ally 550 spyder like pete said at cars n cigars there was a pretty nice little glass 550 that wouldn't be a 50% of the quoted 120k and i think they would be sub contracting a lot of that out so if you ask around i'm sure you could find a coach builder to whip up an "alloy body"so you can say that your replica has an ally body to go with your 1600t/p with baby dells

gotowo - January 31st, 2010 at 05:40 PM

Sorry for the late response on this thread, but I have talked to the guys at Sleeping Beauty and it will be interesting to see what they end up with. They are building 3 spyders - 2 for customers and one for one of the guys who works there. They wouldn't be able to get them street registered in Oz, but might have some luck through the 356 club on club plates. When they came down to Melb recently they showed me photos of the buck they have made and a heap of photos from a trip they made to the States last year. They have it on their website as a 1954 spyder, but that was a totally different shape with rear fins. This is what they have photos of for reference, but they are building the 1955 shape, which really confuses me, so for that kind of money you would want it pretty authentic!

For any spyder fans, you might want to check out this website

http://www.type550.com