Board Logo

Can you tell if it is a good one or bad?
bugsandoil - October 1st, 2010 at 09:00 PM

So,..

Next week I'm going to pick up my new project.

The engine is out and lying on the ground.

Is it possible to know if it is stuffed,.. (or not) simply by tapping this, rotating that,.. etc,..

What do people do when looking at an engine to buy???

This is a 1500 Beetle engine to be specific.

bajachris88 - October 1st, 2010 at 09:59 PM

Does ur new project come with a gearbox and starter motor?

without a compression tester tool, ur best bet is to bolt it back into the bellhousing of the gearbox, use any spare 12volt car battery, plug up and put in a bit of fuel (even if its from a juice bottle with a bit of hose from the fuel pump on the engine going into it, and turn it over.

Honestly, its an easy job :tu:

Otherwise, pull the front crank pulley in and out and feel for movement in the crank for thrust bearing check, turn crank over by hand with a socket and wrench and feel for some form of compression, spose even pop open the valve covers and check all valves restract as you spin the crank (for dropped/stuck valves)

Under the motor is a circular plate, unbolt and remove and check the mesh inside to see for any metal debree and pieces. also check in the oil.

Make sure there is oil before you start turning or cranking over teh engine etc. Check for any oil stains from behind the flywheel and practically all over (ol' vw's are garanteed to leak somehwere anyways)

goodluck :tu:

bajachris88 - October 1st, 2010 at 10:08 PM

OH! depending on how long the engine has been stored, and if it was out in the country side, it might be wise to pull the heads off first...

The last engine i teared apart had wasp nests inside the combustion chamber...

If it hasn't been out west, but been sittin for ages, dribbling some oil in the pots and turning over by hand first is probably a wise move...

donn - October 1st, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Chris, if the engine has been standing for any length of time do you think it would be a good idea to put some sort of lubricant into the cylinders before turning it over, maybe some very light oil or simmilar, would this effect the compresion test?.

bajachris88 - October 1st, 2010 at 10:12 PM

haha, just thought of that. :lol: (above)

donn - October 1st, 2010 at 10:13 PM

well that answered the first part of the question. :rolleyes:

amazeer - October 2nd, 2010 at 01:19 PM

Squeeze it. Should be soft but not squishy. A bit like an avocado :)

amazeer - October 2nd, 2010 at 01:21 PM

If its drenched in oil its rubbish. If the valve adjustment screws are all the way in/out its rubbish.If its been sitting around for any length of time, the bores are probably rusted and rubbish.

bugsandoil - October 2nd, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Thanks for the tips guys.:tu:

I'm expecting to have to rebuild the motor,.. but you never know,.. it might be ok as is.
I'll be sure to check it's clean and clear and lubed up before attempting to start.