Board Logo

AU Dollar to hit US $1.20!!??
mackaymanx - October 2nd, 2010 at 10:25 AM

"He says he was surprised at how optimistic some Americans are about Australia, with some expecting the local currency to hit $US1.20."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/10/01/3027455.htm 

Saw this on ABC24 and couldn't believe my eyes, took awhile to track down the source. A lot are predicting us to reach parity with the US dollar but this is the first I've seen of how far some are predicting it will go.

Good for aussies going OS but bad for the local tourist industry.

komuter - October 2nd, 2010 at 10:41 AM

what torist industry? its already just about none exsistant up hear in fnq,,one of the worst for a long time is what i am hearing,saying that it is probably better than last year for kombis touring around up hear,seen plenty this season,,still amazes me they drive them across aus:crazy:

Barnabie - October 2nd, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Quote:

I know its selfish of me to say this when some peoples jobs are dependant on tourism, but its also great for ordering parts from over there!

bugzla - October 2nd, 2010 at 11:10 AM

saving my Aus $$$$$$$$$ for some bits and peices later this month or if rod goes over to pick up some wild bargins ill keep my dollar in his pocket

mackaymanx - October 2nd, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barnabie
Quote:

I know its selfish of me to say this when some peoples jobs are dependant on tourism, but its also great for ordering parts from over there!

I decided not to mention the obvious but yeah there are big plus's and big minus's for individuals and the economy. I'm going throught a parts list in my head right now.:punk:

kombivw - October 2nd, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Bought a complete engine and had it shipped from U.S on 17th September and it was 90.7
Jeez why could it not have been around the mark it is now! (Bike engine Not VW).

MickH - October 2nd, 2010 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mackaymanx
"He says he was surprised at how optimistic some Americans are about Australia, with some expecting the local currency to hit $US1.20."

Saw this on ABC24 and couldn't believe my eyes, took awhile to track down the source. A lot are predicting us to reach parity with the US dollar but this is the first I've seen of how far some are predicting it will go.

Buy up big Biatzsch.........:lol:

mackaymanx - October 2nd, 2010 at 01:20 PM

Like you just have! ENVY ENVY ENVY http://www.micfiends.com/forums/images/smilies/envy.gif

amazeer - October 2nd, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Its OK. The rest of the world will soon learn we dont have a workable government and it will drop back to the 80 cent normal. Probably a good time to get into currency trading.

cam070 - October 3rd, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by amazeer
Its OK. The rest of the world will soon learn we dont have a workable government and it will drop back to the 80 cent normal. Probably a good time to get into currency trading.

I tend to agree. While Rudd/Gillard keep telling us they have saved us from the GFC, I think their wreckless spending will come back to bite us.

It is now a great time to buy stuff from the US, but for people who have US clients and pay in US dollars, this is killing us. If only I could get paid in VW parts form the US....

MickH - October 3rd, 2010 at 03:23 AM

Quote:
Like you just have! ENVY ENVY ENVY http://www.micfiends.com/forums/images/smilies/envy.gif

If you bring my plasma cutter back one day i MIGHT let you sit in the passengers seat...:lol:

vwo60 - October 3rd, 2010 at 11:33 AM

parity will do

chris7 - October 3rd, 2010 at 04:28 PM

yeh that will do for me too

68AutoBug - October 4th, 2010 at 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kombivw
Bought a complete engine and had it shipped from U.S on 17th September and it was 90.7
Jeez why could it not have been around the mark it is now! (Bike engine Not VW).

Couldn't You wait?? lol

LEE

68AutoBug - October 4th, 2010 at 01:26 AM

Quote:

Most Americians don't know where Australia is... lol

I doubt it could go past parity.... $1 to $1

although the US is still suffering from the Wall Street crash..

lots of cheap houses over there....

maybe lots of cheap beetles and Karmann Ghias over there..

LEE

bajachris88 - October 4th, 2010 at 08:27 AM

Just did a dream shop on http://www.cip.com  to get an online quote of everything i could want for my baja...

The total came to $3000 USD lol..

Even if the dollar goes up it can't satisfy my desires :lol:

Might be able to get a cheap vw key ring for the time being :dork:

Its a hard, expensive life...

amazeer - October 5th, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cam070
I tend to agree. While Rudd/Gillard keep telling us they have saved us from the GFC, I think their wreckless spending will come back to bite us.

It is now a great time to buy stuff from the US, but for people who have US clients and pay in US dollars, this is killing us. If only I could get paid in VW parts form the US....

Our dollar is up on all the currencies, but mostly the US because the yanks are printing shitloads of money to purposely drive their dollar down for the very same reason we're rubbing our VW hands. Its to reign in their own balance of payments by boosting exports and hopefully slow down imports. Probably gonna backfire cos they will get slammed with inflation. The yanks caused the shit so they have every right to live with it for longer. Besides, all they have to do is stop their space and military programs and they will having plenty of cash to throw around.

I dont think were doing as well against other currencies. We're only up by 0.2 of a peso on the mexicans. When $1 buys 12 pesos, thats nuffin. Unless VW do some discounting the price of a Golf is not going down soon. Oops now I'm cross posting.

silver - October 5th, 2010 at 05:43 AM

I was mail ordering parts back in 79-80 from west coast metric and our dollar was US $1.20 then I have to say that although I like it for parts shopping, it has and will continue to hit the film Industry very hard, The Yanks wont be bringing any blockbusters here to film for a while, Hmm early retirement sounds nice

vw54 - October 5th, 2010 at 07:12 AM

NOt since the late 1960s the Banks wont let it go that way

kombivw - October 5th, 2010 at 07:24 AM

Quote:

Couldn't You wait?? lol

I actually could have lol and will be furious if gets to 1.20