justkampers - February 16th, 2011 at 10:49 AM

hey guys how much is a reasonable price for a seized 36hp motor complete

bushed - February 16th, 2011 at 10:52 AM

$100 - 200
depends on tinware all being there icl muffler and clutch cond
imo
I hve some bits incl tins

zjm - March 19th, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I paid $50 for a 36 hp that came off the road in 1963 and then spent $3000 on it

ahoogah - March 19th, 2011 at 01:02 PM

Weigh it, then pay scrap price:lol:

bushed - March 19th, 2011 at 01:21 PM

committed dubber ; to what ?
they are rare now and salvageable parts on any mtr any cond.

Quote:
Originally posted by ahoogah
Weigh it, then pay scrap price:lol:

ahoogah - March 19th, 2011 at 01:28 PM

you don't need to tell the seller that!

Governor - March 19th, 2011 at 06:56 PM

Agree, scrap value, its siezed,
How many want them, and how much to recondition it, thats if you can find the bearings ect??

volumex - March 19th, 2011 at 08:56 PM

If it is seriously seized, then it is only worth the value of what can be salvaged.

Check to see what has seized - if the crank does not turn at all then assume the pistons are seized into the cylinders AND the crank is seized into the bearings. If the crank turns half a pooftenth, then the crank will be free and it's only the cylinders.

The cylinder heads could be worth something if they come off intact without damaging cooling fins. If they are seriously stuck on then they are worthless. I've had about a 50% success rate getting heads off intact. The rocker gear could also be seized and worthless. Valves, springs etc need to be replaced as a matter of course.

The pistons and cylinders are likely rooted, and should be replaced. Getting them off can be a huge PITA.

What else is on the motor? The genny? Genny pulley, early or late? Regulator, early or late? Fan and shroud? Heater boxes, early or late? Exhaust? Dizzy? Fuel pump, early, mid or late? Spark plug wire conduit & clamps? Coil? Crank pulley, early or late?

The heads, genny, regulator, coil and dizzy all have date codes. If this co-incide with the date of the engine then it adds a bit of value.

A complete but seized 54/55 is worth a fair bit just for the bolt on parts. A seized 59/60+ is worth bugger all.

All parts are available to rebuild a 36hp, just need to hope the case can be used as is (you can live in hope) or have enough meat to line bore.

Dasdubber - March 20th, 2011 at 08:06 AM

I last sold a running 36hp motor for $450 a few years ago......so would expect a fair bit less than that.

vwjon - March 20th, 2011 at 08:28 AM

I JUST PICKED UP A COMPLETE (oops) case, free running crank etc and another complete motor less tin ware for free.

if anyone has heard of billy west here in WA, he threw out 40-50 36hp motors when he moved from his old place!:(

t_tuffnut - March 20th, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I bought one off ebay for $30 just to pull it apart and have a sticky beak. It is completely stuffed. It actually had buffalo grass growing up and through the thing!