Board Logo

Swearing at your car or while working on your car!
vvwbeetle - September 16th, 2011 at 07:44 PM

Hi all,

Managed to get home a little early today so thought I would give the engine bay a quick clean and try to fit a spring to the dipstick to help hold it in and find some where to attach it to.(no luck yet)

I kept dropping the spring then had to use a screw driver and pliers to retrieve it. Each time I realised I was swearing at the car and myself.(I notice this now as my 18 month old son is starting to talk so I am trying to be careful).

So it got me thinking how many times have you sworn at your car while working on it?

barls - September 16th, 2011 at 08:14 PM

cant count the number of times,

Sides - September 16th, 2011 at 08:20 PM

Yeah, lost count a long time ago also.

Last few years have sort of retrained myself... now I only swear when it costs me blood... otherwise there's just a whoppin big "hah - I win !!!" whenever the pesky job gets done.

Ben386 - September 16th, 2011 at 08:39 PM

I call for Jesus alot.
He never comes.

vlad01 - September 16th, 2011 at 08:59 PM

on fords, all most consistently.

LOWBUG - September 16th, 2011 at 09:26 PM

Swear. how about how many time you cut yourself and or bleed when working on your car.

vvwbeetle - September 16th, 2011 at 09:35 PM

Yep have a few cuts and also I have a few mates that have burns on them as they thought they wouldn't touch the part that is hot. But you know it only takes one slip and F#&K you touch the exhaust or something.

vlad01 - September 16th, 2011 at 09:38 PM

once in a while on my cars, fords simply changing the plugs several cuts guaranteed every time:grind:

Aussie Dubbin - September 16th, 2011 at 09:47 PM

On the other hand, this weekend i hope to refit the body to the pan after 12+ months, so i gave her a little vocal reminder that i didn't want any trouble

We all talk to them right :cool:

68AutoBug - September 16th, 2011 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vvwbeetle
Hi all,

Managed to get home a little early today so thought I would give the engine bay a quick clean and try to fit a spring to the dipstick to help hold it in and find some where to attach it to.(no luck yet)

I kept dropping the spring then had to use a screw driver and pliers to retrieve it. Each time I realised I was swearing at the car and myself.(I notice this now as my 18 month old son is starting to talk so I am trying to be careful).

So it got me thinking how many times have you sworn at your car while working on it?

i HAVE NEVER SWORN AT MY CAR... TRUE..

it doesn't really help at all...

My Son seems to think it does...:lol::lol:

but it still hurts even if You say nothing... True again...

and why scare My Dogs... shouting at My car... True again

I have found Myself running round My car a few times ..
shaking My hand which was hurting like hell and wondering why blood isn't flowing everywhere...
as it hurt like blazes...

and I never ever throw the spanner or screwdriver etc away..
as You only have to go and pick it up

[if You know where it is] or look to find it...

LEE

68AutoBug - September 16th, 2011 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Hi
to tighten the dipstick You stick a flathead screwdriver in between the [long] dipstick and the short piece...
and bend the short piece out.. so it tensions itself ..

and won't fall out...

a new chromed dipstick [very cheap] will never fall out...
nice tension of them..

LEE

vvwbeetle - September 16th, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Hi lee

Thanks I have done that.it is just poping out a fraction which only happens when I get up it. Due to the pressure. Then it is leaking oil. Which is then dripping on to the tinware then onto the my brand new exhaust!

rose - September 16th, 2011 at 10:50 PM

buy a new one or use a cable tie

Aussie Dubbin - September 16th, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Put a bigger bend in the dipstick spring

68AutoBug - September 17th, 2011 at 01:22 AM

Quote:
Hi lee

Thanks I have done that.it is just poping out a fraction which only happens when I get up it. Due to the pressure. Then it is leaking oil. Which is then dripping on to the tinware then onto the my brand new exhaust!

I notice vollks.com.au have new chromed dipsticks for sale very cheap..
mine came with a nice thick felt washer...

also

the only time My engine has pushed oil out the dipstick was the engine was over full of oil
OR
the breather hose was blocked
and the engine has to breathe out somewhere

do you have a breather hose or pipe on your engine...??

check out My breather hose going up to the air cleaner and down under the engine below My muffler

Lee

mactaylor - September 17th, 2011 at 05:31 AM

when jesus said not to swear cars wernt invented!

HappyDaze - September 17th, 2011 at 08:41 AM

Not a good idea. :no: James Dean even had "Little Bastard" sign-written on the back of his Porsche 550 Spyder, and look what happened to him!

Please don't ask who James Dean is.......Mr Google knows, if you don't.

Joel - September 17th, 2011 at 09:25 AM

Pfft, you ain't heard swearing at a car till you have had to work on van engines :crazy:

The amount of times I've belted my head on the seats working on Mitsubishi express van and Toyota Hiaces or the rooted back you get from being cramped into the front under the seats and dash is rediculous.

ancientbugger - September 17th, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Swearing and bleeding is all part of the job as far as I'm concerned. Once I spent quite a while on a chair trying to tune twin carbs on a VW and then had to fix something on my wifes' Range Rover. The family found me asleep underneath sometime later and I woke up with her and the kids pulling me out by the legs. Carbon monoxide poisoning:spin:

vlad01 - September 17th, 2011 at 12:38 PM

try working on a Renault van of today. the engine is pretty much in the bumper.

change a headlight globe? only 3 hours later, all engine covers and fuse boxes removed plus half the bumper removed...... Light globe changed.

Taz Devil - September 17th, 2011 at 03:44 PM

Usually I have sworn because I can not bend my hands in any way to get to where I need to......Not at the car directly....

The amount of times I have sworn.....not sure.....lost count.......:lol: