Board Logo

Windows computer question I need IT help I am only a panel beater.
helbus - February 14th, 2012 at 09:50 PM

On the laptop running Windows 7. There is

Local Disc C which has 42GB of 686GB used - no problem
Disc D is the DVD RW Drive

Local Disc E is a problem.
it is 11.9GB of 12GB used. Full. I assume it is a RAM chip type drive. It appears to have backup stuff on it

There is a folder D2D with a folder IMAGES that is full of .SWM files that take up nearly the whole E drive.

I do regular backups and Windows images to an external portable hard drive every few days.

Can I delete the .SWM files?

theVman - February 14th, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by helbus

it is 11.9GB of 12GB used. Full. I assume it is a RAM chip type drive. It appears to have backup stuff on it

There is a folder D2D with a folder IMAGES that is full of .SWM files that take up nearly the whole E drive.

I do regular backups and Windows images to an external portable hard drive every few days.

Sounds like its a brand name laptop like Asus, Toshiba or something. Those files are very likely to be your OS recovery files on that partition.

helbus - February 14th, 2012 at 10:54 PM

It is 18 months old ACER brand

h - February 14th, 2012 at 11:00 PM

get a mac n see the light :lol:

theVman - February 14th, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Quote:

Acer customizes the hard drive to include the recovery partition and some manufacturers even have special designations in the MBR for the recovery partition. Your E: Drive is Acers recovery partition. Its formatted with just enough space to fit the recovery files.

SebastienPeek - February 14th, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by h

+1.

helbus - February 14th, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by h

Pffft. I run my desktop on a Linux GNU based system. Mac can get lost along with Windows in my opinion.

Seven years of operating a Linux system with no cost, no virus, stability, no freeze, no crash, and I can change anything I want. Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian are free and stable.

This Windows laptop I have control of is just annoying.

helbus - February 14th, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by theVman
Quote:

Acer customizes the hard drive to include the recovery partition and some manufacturers even have special designations in the MBR for the recovery partition. Your E: Drive is Acers recovery partition. Its formatted with just enough space to fit the recovery files.

Give me a break, what is MBR? Can I delete the files? How do I recognise the recovery files to delete? Arrrrrgh Windows!!!!!

SebastienPeek - February 14th, 2012 at 11:35 PM

helbus,
I do enjoy a Linux box myself. I run Ubuntu as my in-house server. Freaking awesome for version controlling my software development stuff.
I also have it for running a full home theatre system off of (basically, can stream music, videos, images, everything to my PS3). I then have it setup as a gaming server as well, which is cool when friends come around and we just want to have a nerd sesh.

Only reason I have Mac is because that's where the money is for me at the moment. iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch software) is what I program for, apps and shit.

Linux > Windows.
Mac > Windows.
Mac = Linux.

SebastienPeek - February 14th, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Quote:
Give me a break, what is MBR? Can I delete the files? How do I recognise the recovery files to delete? Arrrrrgh Windows!!!!!

I wouldn't touch that drive at all. That's just me though. Windows is shocking enough and I wouldn't want to screw it up any more by removing something that shouldn't be removed but isn't stated it shouldn't be removed...

My two cents.

68AutoBug - February 14th, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Quote:

I'm not even a panel beater and still know nothing lol

I have a toshiba laptop with windows 7...
haven't a clue what I'm doing on that...lol
My Son is an IT person... but has given up even trying to tell me what He's doing to fix My computer... lol

cheers

Lee

narumi - February 15th, 2012 at 02:26 AM

MBR: Master Boot Record ,what?
it's the thing that make your computer load windoze when you turn on
but it is elusive to me now different manufacture implement it.

leave it alone and buy an external drive if you are running out of space

off course it doesn't help if your physical drive fail and make clicking noise
specially bad when you have an assignment on it and no external back up

also, I run 11.10 Ubuntu as a dual boot with Win7, I need both

ps Don't download more RAM

HappyDaze - February 15th, 2012 at 05:59 AM

I sometimes have trouble opening windows, probably because I have arthritis......but then, I'm only a panelbeater.

bitemeoz - February 15th, 2012 at 07:00 AM

I wouldnt touch the e: if you want to restore your PC at some stage. No big deal its only 12Gb just leave it and use c:.

vlad01 - February 15th, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by h

Pffft. I run my desktop on a Linux GNU based system. Mac can get lost along with Windows in my opinion.

Seven years of operating a Linux system with no cost, no virus, stability, no freeze, no crash, and I can change anything I want. Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian are free and stable.

This Windows laptop I have control of is just annoying.

http://lolsnaps.com/upload_pic/AnUpdateIsAvailable-52998.jpg

h - February 15th, 2012 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HappyDaze
I sometimes have trouble opening windows, probably because I have arthritis......but then, I'm only a panelbeater.

:lol:

robb - February 15th, 2012 at 02:45 PM

i have 2 cans and a long piece of string.

theVman - February 15th, 2012 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by theVman
Quote:

MBR = Master Boot Record

SebastienPeek and bitemeoz are correct.

helbus - February 15th, 2012 at 09:49 PM

The annoying thing is every time I touch the laptop it keeps telling me Drive E is full, and to sort it out blah blah. The popups are really annoying, as they are constantly in my face. It must be a RAM, being only 12GB. I have all backup images done every few days on an external portable drive.

Can I just delete the .SWM files to stop the persistent popups? It is nearly as bad as my 5 YO son with his "I'm hungry"

bitemeoz - February 16th, 2012 at 06:46 AM

From the web below, as i said if you dont think or want to ever recover your laptop then you can remove them.

SWM file is a Splitted Windows Imaging File. The Windows Imaging Format (WIM) is a file-based disk image format. It was developed by Microsoft to deploy its latest Windows operating system releases, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, which use it as part of their standard installation procedure. If the created .wim file is too large for your selected media, you can split the file into smaller files for spanning across multiple media.

theVman - February 16th, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
The annoying thing is every time I touch the laptop it keeps telling me Drive E is full, and to sort it out blah blah. The popups are really annoying, as they are constantly in my face. It must be a RAM, being only 12GB. I have all backup images done every few days on an external portable drive.

Can I just delete the .SWM files to stop the persistent popups? It is nearly as bad as my 5 YO son with his "I'm hungry"

You have a number of options:

1. Hide the partition

Use this tool TweakUI

2. Turn off the system messages

Use this procedure disable-low-disk-space-notification

3. Delete the files
Ensure you have the OS media and serial to reinstall from if needed and realise the in built OS recovery will no longer work.

4. Format and install linux
I think you know how.

narumi - February 16th, 2012 at 12:42 PM

download more RAM

theVman - February 16th, 2012 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by narumi
download more RAM

LOL .... yeh you can get it HERE :dork: