Board Logo

build year?beetle
igy17 - March 17th, 2012 at 10:19 PM

gday everyone,new to the vw scene.i am in the middle of purchasing an old beetle from a farm.the cocky isnt sure of the year and ive looked at a compliance plate on the front of the car but it dosent have a year on it.is there a year stamped on the vehicle somewhere or is there a code of some description to work out the year.i think its an early to mid sixties going by the look of it.by the way,great forum.cheers

Pumba - March 17th, 2012 at 10:24 PM

There is a number under the back seat on the floor pan tunnel,find that and post it up here and someone will tell you what year it is.
cheers shane.

whatnow - March 18th, 2012 at 03:08 PM

post some pics of the outside and include pics under the bonnet with the spare tire out, the dash and near the back window with the headliner and rear seatbelt mounts (if it has any). from those we should be able to give you a good estimate.

68AutoBug - March 18th, 2012 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by igy17
gday everyone,new to the vw scene.i am in the middle of purchasing an old beetle from a farm.the cocky isnt sure of the year and ive looked at a compliance plate on the front of the car but it dosent have a year on it.is there a year stamped on the vehicle somewhere or is there a code of some description to work out the year.i think its an early to mid sixties going by the look of it.by the way,great forum.cheers

sloping headlamps mean Up to >1968
upright headlamps from 1968> on..

check on the back of the speedo... there should be a date that the speedo was made.. good indication..

No years were stamped on the body or chassis...
would have made life tooo easy... lol
chassis number under the rear seat in the centre will tell Us..
bit of a hassle pulling the rear seat up .. lol
engine number will give us a clue .. but many have different engines in them by now..
the wheels also had the year stamped on them under the hub caps...

cheers

LEE

PS: is the chassis number printed on the rego papers or rego sticker..?? they only put the last few numbers on them now...

igy17 - March 18th, 2012 at 08:46 PM

thanks for the replys.it has the slanting headlights with a small castle(i think)emblem on the front.i will get up there on friday and pick it up.will post some pics as well.

68AutoBug - March 18th, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Hi

If it has the wolfburg crest [castle] on the front its before 1962
it can be an even earlier model if it doesn't have blinkers on the front mudguards. before 1960..

LEE

Phil74Camper - March 19th, 2012 at 06:28 AM

All the chassis number data you need to date any VW is here:

http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwchassis 

Year by year changes for Australian-made VWs, and how they differ from German VWs, is detailed here:

http://www.clubvw.org.au/austvw001 

igy17 - March 19th, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil74Camper
All the chassis number data you need to date any VW is here:

http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwchassis 

Year by year changes for Australian-made VWs, and how they differ from German VWs, is detailed here:

http://www.clubvw.org.au/austvw001 
thanks mate.thats what im looking for

igy17 - March 23rd, 2012 at 08:24 PM

gday,finally picked up the car.its in pretty good condition considering its been sitting on a farm for a while.the chassis number is 4473101 which i think means its a german built 62?correct me if im wrong.anyway ive got some photos i,ll try too post up now.cheers

igy17 - March 23rd, 2012 at 08:31 PM

if anyone can give me some advice on how to post pictures.they are over 1mb.cheers

LUFTMEISTER - March 23rd, 2012 at 08:47 PM

open picture with microsoft paint
go to resize picture
resize to under 1mb
save as "save as" if you want to retain original size
then just attach pics to posting

igy17 - March 23rd, 2012 at 10:46 PM

hopefully this worked

igy17 - March 23rd, 2012 at 10:48 PM

and this

igy17 - March 23rd, 2012 at 10:52 PM

and more

Joel - March 24th, 2012 at 07:47 AM

62-63 Deluxe, would be Aussie built not German.

Engine is from a later car too, looks to be a 1500

igy17 - March 24th, 2012 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
62-63 Deluxe, would be Aussie built not German.

thanks mateEngine is from a later car too, looks to be a 1500

igy17 - March 24th, 2012 at 08:28 AM

try again.thanks joel

LUFTMEISTER - March 24th, 2012 at 08:37 AM

crusty :smilegrin:

whatnow - March 25th, 2012 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LUFTMEISTER
crusty :smilegrin:

no, perfect.

fix rust, blend paint, ankor wax, lower, drive.