Board Logo

whats so good about this
jamiesc - March 20th, 2012 at 07:57 PM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rare-16-inch-Porcelain-Porsche-356-Pre-Model-Prese...

seen this on ebay and why is it worth so much?

cam070 - March 20th, 2012 at 08:25 PM

It's the kilo of high grade heroine stuffed inside.

jamiesc - March 20th, 2012 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cam070
It's the kilo of high grade heroine stuffed inside.
:lol::lol:
i thought it looked abit suss haha

Sides - March 20th, 2012 at 08:53 PM

Heh - it's an arts/antiques thing rather than a car thing basically... ever seen an episode of Antiques Roadshow ???

The "provenance" sounds a bit suss I reckon... Porsche confirm the existence of 3 others, but that doesn't mean that it's rare.

H Merkel would be Harry Merkel I think, who I remember reading about somewhere - he was definitely a real guy who ran Porsche factory cars back in the 50's at Nurburgring, Mille Miglia and so-on, and I think possibly even the early days of F1 before he retired to Australia.

oldtub356 - March 20th, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Harry Merkel was a privateer Porsche racer (and other marques) from the early 1950s thru the early 1960s. He also made a one-off racing car which he raced himself. He ran a car dealership in Germany for several local models...DKW etc.

He was awarded one of the Porsche factory porcelain 356 models by Ferry Porsche for special services to the "family" in 1954. Vasek Polak, the Californian Porsche racer, who was almost like family at Porsche, also earned one of these. Harry thought that there were more awarded out and that they were so highly regarded as something very special from Porsche, that they are rarely "let go".
I was aware of very poor replicas sold around 1980.

Whether this eBay model is the "real" one or not, I don't know. I was aware of Harrys' trophies being sold off some time after his death. His family was bothered by the vultures early and often. The sort of money that they were paid, is not remotely near the asking price on eBay.

ClockworkMonkey - March 20th, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Looks cool. I wonder if you can get cheaper knock-offs? Would look great in the pool room

narumi - March 21st, 2012 at 12:17 AM

There’s an economic concept known as a positional good in which an object is only valued by the possessor because it’s not possessed by others.
The term was coined in 1976 by economist Fred Hirsch to replace the more colloquial, but less precise neener-neener.

68AutoBug - March 21st, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiesc
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rare-16-inch-Porcelain-Porsche-356-Pre-Model-Prese...

seen this on ebay and why is it worth so much?

I doubt it will sell for that...

someone trying to make a fast $60,040US and postage was over $800US

and I see that antiques and other shows and I can't see it actually being worth that much..

if a chinese vase over 1000 years old isn't worth that much
then who would pay that much...

He's looking for someone with too much money... lol

it would be worth more than the glass AVON beetles though as there was probably 10,000 of those made... lol

LEE

coletrickle - March 21st, 2012 at 07:53 AM

when it comes to dropping names,Merkel,Porsche chairmans desk Porsche museum,and Vasek Polack......Probally fair chance its pretty special.

Stanley - March 21st, 2012 at 08:04 AM

Check out the price for postage. As if you would.

jamiesc - March 21st, 2012 at 07:01 PM

price for postage is more then what i paid for my rego but still you would have to be crazy to buy thing

whathaveidone - March 21st, 2012 at 07:25 PM

if i could affordto pay that much for it 800 is nothing for postage

cam070 - March 21st, 2012 at 11:44 PM

You might pay for the postage but be prepared to be on an episode of border security when the drug dog picks up the heroine stashed inside LOL

mactaylor - March 22nd, 2012 at 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by narumi
There’s an economic concept known as a positional good in which an object is only valued by the possessor because it’s not possessed by others.
The term was coined in 1976 by economist Fred Hirsch to replace the more colloquial, but less precise neener-neener.

gold!

vwo60 - March 22nd, 2012 at 07:28 AM

It has three offers, interesting to know what they are.

lou0060 - March 22nd, 2012 at 08:58 PM

could buy a real one for that and then you could actually drive it...

beats having it in the pool room.....

gerggl - March 27th, 2012 at 09:08 AM

Whack it on the top of the dash ...use the best glue you can find !

vlad01 - March 27th, 2012 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stanley
Check out the price for postage. As if you would.

haha yeah i was thinking that too, what a rip!

pod - March 27th, 2012 at 04:41 PM

i think Hank can go and have himself a big w@#k :starhit: if he thinks anybody would pay that much coin out for that :lol:

polarbus93 - March 27th, 2012 at 04:58 PM

harry merkel was a german racer sons are harry and ralph the second one owns bel ont affordable boats two daughter birgit and dagmar , he lived in la perouse then moved to the central coast killerney vale on wyong road to be correct .. he won many racers both here and there in a 356 a race special which he sold to a member of the porsche racing club before passing away .. s a rough guess that is .. some will know its true , but dont bring that part up ..the family almost made a motor bike none as the flying merkel ..