Board Logo

New Beetles?
bigdave - March 24th, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Considering buying a 2000 Beetle 2L motor, 150ks. I dont know much about these new ones. The reviews arent favourable though. Any advice?
Cheers
Dave

Bizarre - March 24th, 2012 at 11:50 AM

My wife has a 2008 TDi and loves it. I dont mind it either.
Unbelievable milage - 600+kms from 45L round town
Over a 1,000kms on a run

Originally I didnt want one - but now enjoy it.
Fun and quirky to drive - but they are different.
Have a drive of one - the sitting position and view is a little different.
Rear seats are for short trips only and the boot is not suited to couriers.

If you want decent rear seating and a good pay load - buy a commodore wagon

We have had no trouble in 3 years and 30,000 odd kms

I would go for a diesel if you can - just stay away from a 1.6L and run a mile from a 1.6L auto.
The diesel is only available in manual

if you have a garage - get a vert.
I reckon they look good. Lowered and 17"s

Vanity - March 28th, 2012 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdave
Considering buying a 2000 Beetle 2L motor, 150ks. I dont know much about these new ones. The reviews arent favourable though. Any advice?
Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave

We have a 2000 model NewBeetle, 2.0 l auto, Sunshine Model. The car has done 220,000 km and we will drive it to its grave. Not the most reliable car we have ever owned ( Japanese cars we have owned claim that title) but OK. It is easily the most satisfying car we have owned.

Problems we have encounted are all electrical, crankshaft sensor, airflow meter, fuel gauge sender and a wiring loom plug that came apart.

All of these problems were attended to promptly and at reasonable cost by Paul Wakeling at Campbelltown.

Some interior bits have been affected by ultraviolet radiation.

I service the car, did the timing belt at the nominated time and replaced the catalytic converter recently.

No problems with the auto and the aircon has never been serviced.

Great Car.

68AutoBug - March 28th, 2012 at 03:49 PM

I see a lot of them now for sale..
getting a bit old...
well old for a new beetle... lol:lol:

they seem to have a few problems that japanese cars don't..
but considering they are made in mexico..

if all the electrical parts were made in Germany wouldn't be so bad I guess...

read recently where someone has a Golf that did an engine at 60,000 [from memory] and had a new one fitted under warranty, another engine blew at 60,000 and VW checked and the owner had been using 95 octane fuel... which just isn't goo enough.. so now no engine..

LEE

Yogie - March 28th, 2012 at 04:09 PM

We have just had the 210k service on our 2004 2.0l auto cabrio and it has been a great car. No electrical problems at all and pretty much just regular servicing.

Yogie

Phil74Camper - March 30th, 2012 at 07:27 AM

Lee I remember reading that story, but the owner had in fact used 91 octane (against VW's specific instructions), not 95.

All modern VWs (except for the 'R' models) can use 95. The high performance models still need 98.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009/volkswagen/volkswagen-reviews-fuel-recom...

VW sources their parts from all over the world (even some from Australia). Even German-made VWs don't always use German-made parts. Most of the electrical problems with the Mk3 Golfs, for example, were caused by VW using Italian-made relays and sensors. These are easily replaced.

blutopless2 - March 30th, 2012 at 01:35 PM

just make sure everything works in it... make sure there are no warning lights up on the dash etc... especially the airbag or check engine light
if it has electric windows then wind them fully down and listen for a bang at the bottom. If they bang or are really abrupt then they will need replacement regulators.
Check that correct servicing has been done including the timing belt,water pump and idler. If done by a dealershp these can be quite expensive and some owners don't do it.
Depending upon where you are buying it from I would check for hail damage (if in victoria) or water damage (nth nsw/qld) etc.
hth

ian.mezz - March 30th, 2012 at 02:59 PM

what are you talking about this is the new beetle :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgQr_A_99XU 

ian.mezz - March 30th, 2012 at 03:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtxcF8fQmtE&feature=related 

wolfgang54 - March 30th, 2012 at 06:35 PM

we had a 2.0 beetle for over 180,000.
Never broke down! Swiss watch
Ran on 91

BUT.... the 2.0 is infamous for using oil via valve guide seals... google it!

Ours needed 500ml to 1 litre every 6000 to 8000kms, this is 'normal'

68AutoBug - March 30th, 2012 at 06:47 PM

YIKES

that is a lot of OIL...

so, You really need to check Your OIL every 500 kilometres
as I read recently..

Does Your manual say its OK on 91 octane????
and was that with ethanol?? or without??

LEE

68AutoBug - March 30th, 2012 at 07:05 PM

That is the NEW NEW Beetle ... lol

LEE

looks different.. more porscheish...

maybe should drop the beetle name now...???

wolfgang54 - March 30th, 2012 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug

YIKES

that is a lot of OIL...

so, You really need to check Your OIL every 500 kilometres
as I read recently..

Does Your manual say its OK on 91 octane????
and was that with ethanol?? or without??

LEE

i think manual was good for 95
no ethanol

oil light comes on really early on these! so a 500ml top up shut it up for 5000 more! ran for 150,000 plus kms using oil.

its not excessive consumption by any means, but NOT what you expect in a more modern engine, believe there are better seals available if you can be bothered changed them..