Board Logo

my long term project 56 ragtop baja (FOR SALE)
vwsteve - November 2nd, 2009 at 07:43 AM

This is something ive been working on here and there for a while.This is a long term thing:)
So far it has....
Irs pan, absolutely rust free converted to manual
1600 kombi box and conv kit and spare box
1800 type 4 motor and upright kit, sand aircleaners
external oil cooler
front adjusters and raised beam, beam stiffeners
larger type 3 rear brakes
kombi cvs with h/d axle shafts
sway away spring plates
2 inch lift kit professionally made with corect floor curve
oval body with factory ragtop to be welded in
saas front seats(need recover)
centerline style 15 inch mags
some guages,
bubble rear windows
new 1 piece windows and regulators

Body has all bottom rusted, not for the faint hearted, body is sitting on pan now.

Well this one may have to go also to make my move easier and could use the money, im thinking its all worth $4300 ono, wont separate, take the whole thing or not, steve
0409475131, caboolture

vwsteve - November 2nd, 2009 at 07:45 AM

vwsteve - November 2nd, 2009 at 07:46 AM

bajachris88 - November 2nd, 2009 at 09:56 AM

awesomeness!
gotta luv an oval baja... particularly with a rap top. plenty to keep ya busy ova xmas hey?

she'd be a beaut when shes finished. :tu:

Smiley - November 2nd, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Nice!! Way to stick it to those purists! Smiley

pod - November 2nd, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by smileyman3000
Nice!! Way to stick it to those purists! Smiley

Was thinking the same thing Smiley :tu:

vwsteve - November 2nd, 2009 at 12:53 PM

ha ha, thats 1 of the main reasons im doing it:lol:

bajachris88 - November 2nd, 2009 at 12:59 PM

You can hear them whimpering in the wind....

Rolling on the ground, curled in the ball, thump in the mouth....
Poor purists :lol:

Why not a split window ? :yes:

Smiley - November 2nd, 2009 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajachris88Why not a split window ?
You might have to import one for that. Or a nice Barndoor Baja Bus with a V8 shoved in the back blazing up the dunes! Smiley

vwsteve - November 2nd, 2009 at 06:43 PM

i could always weld the centre section from a split bus into the oval window to turn it into a split but the lower grille is still different, and the ragtop on a split is bigger so the purists wont believe it:)

matberry - November 2nd, 2009 at 09:54 PM

What one pce you got?

colonel mustard - November 2nd, 2009 at 10:06 PM

how many vw purists is there, reallly

Baja Wes - November 2nd, 2009 at 10:40 PM

You really gotta get a watercooled engine in there if you want to upset the purists, and maybe paint halloween pumpkins on it too :D

matberry - November 3rd, 2009 at 08:13 AM

Cheers Steve. I was wondering as I have two different sizes available, the one Nils has and a smaller [stock] size that sounds similiar to yours. I was interested to see how yours fits the wiper panel as I have done a heap of work to get the ones I make a quality fit. Maybe a pic if you get a round toit [yeah I know they're rare:lol:].

vwsteve - November 4th, 2009 at 07:48 AM

1916baja - November 4th, 2009 at 04:32 PM

Hey mate what size tyres are on the front of the red baja?

nils - November 10th, 2009 at 07:38 PM

Can we stress the LLLLOOOOOOONNNNGGG term on this thread, i think you started with this thing before i bought my baja. Thats almost 5years and 2 rebuilds ago! :rolleyes:

Think of how the purists will gag when you roll into a show about the year 2020, ahHHAhHAHAhHAHAhAH!
but seriously, its going to be cool

matberry - November 10th, 2009 at 09:40 PM

Cool Steve, thanks for the pics. That one piece is similiar to the 'stock' width style I supply. Thanks also for the ebay lead, but looked too crappy for the price.
Dont worry about Nils giving you heaps, his baja is going to be so full of bar work he'll be rebuilding the 1600 before long as it'll be soooo slow. :lol:

nils - December 1st, 2009 at 08:49 PM

heh heh heh. will see, final inpection in 3 weeks and counting:cool:

vwsteve - February 10th, 2010 at 03:35 PM

well nills may be right, due to house purchase and moving to a smaller block, if someone is interested in buying this, let me know.

nils - February 14th, 2010 at 07:36 PM

have been nagging you for that roof about 8-9 years now, now I don't have any dough and my baja is painted you're selling it? :mad::D

dekker - February 14th, 2010 at 10:34 PM

good to see the red doors from the baja i bought off you sitting in the pic. iv got another 2 cars now but still using that body. Its still the cleanest one i can find.

vwsteve - February 15th, 2010 at 06:35 AM

I thought i would wait till you finished yours nills just to annoy you:lol:
im glad you are happy with the old body dekker, it was a good one, maybe i should have kept it to sell with the rest of this car:lol:
nills, i and a few others just came back from a fraser island trip, makes me wish i had the time to finnish this thing!