Board Logo

[FS - NSW] Canberra Postcode 2607 - 1970 1500 Beetle - Project
FinallyGotADub - April 28th, 2010 at 09:50 PM

1970 white Beetle 1500 4 speed manual. The car is in Canberra, is unregistered and does not drive. It does roll easily enoug though.

Sadly I have decided that I need to sell this car after having big plans to restore it. I'll probably get another one eventually.

Excellent project car for a Beetle enthusiast.

Engine not running but a spare excellent used 1600 (well, we think that it is a 1600) motor which can be swapped in, can be purchased for an additional $500, or can be negotiated into the deal somehow. The spare motor does not leak oil and is believed to have been rebuilt a couple of years ago. I saw it running before purchasing it (thanks to Kevin from this forum!).

I was going to restore this car myself and have always wanted a Beetle, but other pressures in life have stopped me from continuing. I started to buy new parts for the car and can discuss including these in the sale with the buyer.

The car is complete but needs some new parts to be cosmetically restored. Has a fairly poor exterior and interior. If you didn't want to do a full restoration, it could probably be put back on the road with a clean up and not too much effort overall once the engine was replaced. It was registered a few years back before the engine died. Note that the engine in the car cannot be re-used, even if it was rebuilt (long story). There is probably rust in the floor but a replacement partial floor pan from a wreck is possibly available.

Asking $400 negotiable for the car only as is, or $800 for the car plus the motor. Shipping can be arranged if required.

More photos can be made available on request.

Call James on 0414 243 291.

Ian Bugden - April 29th, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Is this the "battle Bug" that Bruce had??

FinallyGotADub - April 29th, 2010 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Bugden
Is this the "battle Bug" that Bruce had??

Yes. I bought it from Bruce last year with good intentions, but sometimes your plans have to change.

James

Thinker - April 30th, 2010 at 03:57 PM

is the motor complete.

Camo - April 30th, 2010 at 05:46 PM

Hope you don't mind James, but here is a video of the motor running as I sold it (complete). Excuse the crude throttle system :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-GVeNLXy9g

Kevin

FinallyGotADub - May 1st, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thinker
is the motor complete.

The motor in the car is complete but can't be used (engine number problem). The spare motor is also complete with carby, dizzy, coil and runs as per Camo's post.

FinallyGotADub - May 1st, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Camo
Hope you don't mind James, but here is a video of the motor running as I sold it (complete). Excuse the crude throttle system :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-GVeNLXy9g

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

No I don't mind at all. Thanks for this.

However, I am actually having second thoughts about selling it now! I'll make a decision this weekend as there a local guy who is keen to buy it. I told him today that I am unsure if I can go ahead. It needs a lot of work and is rough but would be fun to do and to have when finished. I should really just keep going with it and get stuck into it.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, probably best to assume for the next day or so that it is either sold or unavailable until I post something here to confirm what is going on.

James

Camo - May 1st, 2010 at 09:42 PM

Hi James,

Got your message this afternoon and sorry I hadn't got back to you, been busy. You may have seen, but the other car has sold so cant help you out there sorry.

You should finish it as you were keen before and have the skills to do it and I'm sure once you start you will love these cars more and more.

All the best, Kevin

FinallyGotADub - May 2nd, 2010 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Camo
Hi James,

Got your message this afternoon and sorry I hadn't got back to you, been busy. You may have seen, but the other car has sold so cant help you out there sorry.

You should finish it as you were keen before and have the skills to do it and I'm sure once you start you will love these cars more and more.

All the best, Kevin

Thanks Kev,

Yeah I saw that you sold the car.

Yes, I have decided to keep it and bring it back to life. Thanks for the encouragement. I am getting a bit more excited about again which is good.

Cheers,
James