Board Logo

FS NSW 1300 original beetle SOLD
donn - August 23rd, 2010 at 03:01 PM

Not mine but I was considering buying it till a reality check kicked in, I am told this car has original everything except the front RH guard, it has been replaced recently as some clown backed into it. Presently owned by a realy nice little old lady (no I'm not telling fibs and yes I have known her for plenty long time) and has been profesionaly maintained by dedicated VW mechanic (old school) for the entire time she has owned it (about 15 years I think) receipts available for everything spent in that time. Head lining a little ratty, has a new battery , motor recoed about 5 years ago original paint Honey Brown. Engine number F2108467 VIN / Chassis number 1102600911I think it says 1500 on rego papers but has 1300 script on engine lid. looking for $3000 but I'm sure there is a bit of room to move, car is in Lake Macquarie,
Don 0419240315 or PM me with any questions.
October rego if I recall correctly
Please remember it's not mine, I just told her that I would put it up here for her because she wants it to go to someone who will look after it.

donn - August 23rd, 2010 at 03:04 PM

As per first post

donn - August 23rd, 2010 at 03:08 PM

Forgot to add that the bumpers are in pristeen condition, lady used to work at a chrome business in Sydney and they redid them for her as a retirement presie, something about being copper coated b4 chrome or some such thing.

donn - August 23rd, 2010 at 03:18 PM

Almost certain it's a '70 mod.

Craig Torrens - August 23rd, 2010 at 03:32 PM

yep...and 12volt not 6 !

donn - August 23rd, 2010 at 03:34 PM

Hokee Craig I'll chek that out, I'm sure she said it was a 6v but I'll check again to make sure.

68AutoBug - August 23rd, 2010 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by donn
Hokee Craig I'll chek that out, I'm sure she said it was a 6v but I'll check again to make sure.

Hi Don

its a 12 volt beetle..

1970 model going by chassis number..

means it was made between 1st august 1969 & 31st july 1970

and is a 1300 engine for that model...

any pics of seats etc...

LEE

Joel - August 23rd, 2010 at 05:24 PM

Its between nov 70 and jan 71 model cos its like my old 12/70 1500 bug which had a very close chassis number

Its got the Sbug style big 5 slot defroster vents on the dash but no side crescent vents behind the back window

decklid and aircleaner are from a 68 though

has it got drums or discs on the front?
the highback seats arent vw either

donn - August 23rd, 2010 at 06:29 PM

Hmmm, seems then that it isn't all original, keep the questions coming and I'll get the answers soon as I can. :yes:

Joel - August 23rd, 2010 at 06:38 PM

its a 40 year old car, its allowed to have some parts replaced, who would wanna ride around with vw lowbacks these days?

not me, i like to be able to walk after arriving at my destination

donn - August 24th, 2010 at 04:21 PM

To the top

zayus - August 24th, 2010 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
... who would wanna ride around with vw lowbacks these days?

not me, i like to be able to walk after arriving at my destination

There's nothing wrong with lowback seats, they strengthen your core muscles. :crazy:

Gotta love a '70 Beetle

donn - August 25th, 2010 at 08:59 PM

jeremyluke - August 25th, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Yea, nuthin wrong with lowbacks, im hoping to get a pair for my '71 S model..

donn - August 26th, 2010 at 09:02 PM

OK no interest? What do you think it's worth?, the lady keeps calling me to find out if anyone is interested as she has already bought another car.

donn - August 27th, 2010 at 06:42 AM

Thanks for the PM rust is well and truely on the "better" side , from what I can see it is very clean, it has lived at it's present location for about 5 years to my knowledge but I'll check to make sure, b4 that it was somewhere in Sydney, paint is original as best I can judge, has a few blemishes, the lady is a real stickler for maintenance as told me by the mechanic, I'm going to see her tomorrow so hopefully I'll have all the answers by tomorrow night.
Thanks

donn - August 28th, 2010 at 09:21 AM

Hi Louis, thanks for the PM answers to your questions attached but will need to be confirmed

Is the price negotiable? I'm sure it is
If i commit prior to seeing it in the flesh am i going to get any suprises? No surprises here
Would she accept a deposit and i flew up in a few weeks time to get it? i would say yes
I have 2 weeks off from Sat 18th of Sept.
Is there any rust? A small amount

I am going out to see it again today and hopefully get answers to all questions on here tonight, thanks for the interest.

avwboy - August 28th, 2010 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by donn
Thanks for the PM rust is well and truely on the "better" side , from what I can see it is very clean, it has lived at it's present location for about 5 years to my knowledge but I'll check to make sure, b4 that it was somewhere in Sydney, paint is original as best I can judge, has a few blemishes, the lady is a real stickler for maintenance as told me by the mechanic, I'm going to see her tomorrow so hopefully I'll have all the answers by tomorrow night.
Thanks

cheers, just tried to contact you on the mobile and left a voicemail msg

would like to come up and view the car

donn - August 28th, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Sorry the old bat flattery syndrome, some as the buggy after standing without a start since trailering back from my effort to get to Valla

donn - August 28th, 2010 at 09:15 PM

Went back to check the car this arvo, very small rust bubble showing near gutter on left side at rear about level with the bottom of the rear screen, a small rust bubble showing at the rear screen rubber bottom right, very small rust showing on drivers door skin front and rear corner nothing that I noticed by feel in the door frame, passenger door has no rust showing in the skin but I can feel a little in the bottom edge of the frame, no rust showing at the base of the door frames where they join the sills. Paint is original and has the usual blemishes as well as being polished almost through in a number of places (except for the newly painted front right guard) Rego due in October, has had a service in the last couple of weeks. Radio does not work and has small square speakers in the original door cards. Has had carpet replaced about 6/7 years ago including the area behind the back seat, back seat is original and in good nick, the lady thought the fronts were original as they were in it when she bought it, don't know what they are out of. Rust repairs done fairly recently to the floor at the jack point and a small section front passenger. Has a new battery. Drivers window winder mechanism has been replaced recently, the winder handle is new and does not match the original on the passenger door.
That's about it, just a good honest car that has been well maitained, the mechanic for the past 15 years has been Nymeyer Automotive at Belmont near Newcastle, probably the best place in Newie to get service and parts for your dub, but don't mention altering it from stock, their a bit straight ya know.

ian.mezz - August 29th, 2010 at 09:41 AM

go on Donn buy it and make a BaJA:blush:

donn - August 29th, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Mr Mezz, now that I am retired (yes I am this time) I have to save my pennies to keep the other little bitch on the road, no bajas here. :no:
Though I am keeping an eye on it, told her if she's going to sell it cheap then sell it cheap to me. :tu:

avwboy - August 29th, 2010 at 10:26 PM

have just been back from seeing the car

the owner is the nicest person you could ever meet :)

Quote:
Its between nov 70 and jan 71 model cos its like my old 12/70 1500 bug which had a very close chassis number

spot on ... body stamped 12/70

but the speedo is stamped 6/70 or something alike

Quote:
has it got drums or discs on the front?

drums

it drives great, smooth... with very little noises (in suspension etc)
mechanically feels like a very low km car

the 4 wheel drums could use a look over as a nice 6volt could easily out break it :)

the bad is the rust, car was purchased from brookvale spares in the 90's and was obviously a beaches car

both sills have been patched around the jacking points (which themselves have not only been welded to the pan but also the sill itself)

the sills have some holes showing along them hinting on bad internal rust inside them
both front kick panels have been patched along the lower section earlier in its life also

front and rear windows have rust inside the lower channel which can be seen and felt from inside the bonnet area and the rear vents above the engine lid

also rust forming on the inside of the rain gutter channels both sides as seen from the engine compartment

would make a good first car for someone or an A to B

donn - August 30th, 2010 at 07:30 AM

Ok, now that someone who knows what they are looking at has seen it what is the feeling for $ figure, is it worth buying at whatever $ (not me, I was out b4 it was advertised here) :rolleyes:.

Joel - August 30th, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Cheers for the info avwboy, so it really is a 1300 pov pak

Id always heard rumours that the 70 1300 povpaks were single port but never seen one to confirm it

Its not the original decklid, you can even see the paint peeling off the numberplate light housing, woulda had a 2 vent jobbie originally but aside from that,
its getting pretty hard to find fairly original 1300 bugs now

donn - August 31st, 2010 at 07:43 AM

back two the top

donn - September 1st, 2010 at 06:27 PM

bump

Laverda Bomber - September 1st, 2010 at 09:10 PM

Hi Donn,
I spoke to the owner and wanted to buy it just so i could come up and meet her.
She sounded brilliant.
What a trooper.
I have rung her again and said thanks but no thanks for a variety of reasons not the least of which is i'm in Tassie.
Thanks for your help too.
Regards
L

donn - September 3rd, 2010 at 08:40 AM

RSI of the bump finger !

donn - September 6th, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Sold to local couple reliving their younger days. :)