Board Logo

[FS - SA] 71 Fastback - SOLD
slippy - January 3rd, 2011 at 10:22 PM

1971 fastback in good condition. A reliable daily driver in better condition than most, or an easy resto for an enthusiast.

Mechanics: 1600 TL, manual, twin carb, twin port model - fairly stock except for mild ratio rockers and a non-original exhaust (still has heater boxes). ~50000 miles since engine rebuild (when everything was polished, ported and balanced way above factory spec). Shocks replaced, torsion bars reset, carbs rebuilt, gearbox reconditioned, clutch replaced, brakes overhauled, all to ensure a reliable ride. Runs very well. The only current issues are the exhaust is getting tired, I have a new replacement but haven't installed it; and the engine bay is probably due for a steam clean.

Body: It looks neat and presentable overall but there is some rust along the rear part of the gutters and a very small area of panel damage on the driver door. All could be easily fixed at home by someone with the time and know-how. Everything else is intact, shiny chrome bumpers, original exterior mirror, replica Porsche 356 wheels with near new Bridgestone Supercat tyres, professionally tinted windows. I changed the side marker lights to orange lenses and had them wired to be supplementary indicators.

Interior: Above average for a daily driver. Original red door linings and rear seat in good condition, front bucket seats (non original) have been custom upholstered to match and in very good condition. Dash in very good condition. Custom carpets in charcoal, generally good condition but the driver area is worn and has been covered with a black rubber mat. Sports steering wheel. Toasty warm heating. And my favourite bit - I sourced one of those elusive factory tachometers and fitted it where the infamously unreliable stock clock was.

A reliable daily driver I will be very sad to see go. Advertising here first in the hope it will go to a good home. Registered until March 2011, so it's ready to drive away.

Price removed as it's now on ebay (see below).

vlad01 - January 4th, 2011 at 07:13 AM

ah very nice :tu:

slippy - January 4th, 2011 at 09:33 AM

So buy it :D

vlad01 - January 4th, 2011 at 08:41 PM

nah can't afford it. If I could I would of bought that notch of Ben's :smilegrin:

slippy - January 9th, 2011 at 05:58 PM

More pics...

slippy - January 9th, 2011 at 06:02 PM

And more..

slippy - January 9th, 2011 at 06:07 PM

Still more

slippy - January 19th, 2011 at 02:14 PM

This car is about to get listed on ebay as I need it sold. I will consider any offer, no matter how silly you think it may sound, make me an offer before it goes to auction this weekend.

type3disease - January 19th, 2011 at 04:12 PM

$500 with all the bits and you deliver it..... to melbourne :ninja:

AyeBee - January 19th, 2011 at 05:46 PM

$500 and I'll come get it.

slippy - January 19th, 2011 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by type3disease
$500 with all the bits and you deliver it..... to melbourne :ninja:

:lol: Only if you pay for my fuel, meals, accommodation and the flights home (my wife wants to come too).

slippy - January 19th, 2011 at 09:06 PM

I have received some better offers by phone already. I will make a decision by the end of the week. It may still go to ebay...

type3disease - January 19th, 2011 at 09:40 PM

only doing as you asked mate - tounge in cheek -

good way to get the ball rolling and start an auction on here thou...

expect a PM from the admins...:borg:

AyeBee - January 19th, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by type3disease
only doing as you asked mate - tounge in cheek -

good way to get the ball rolling and start an auction on here thou...

expect a PM from the admins...:borg:

and I just got caught up in the excitement of it all. lol

slippy - January 23rd, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Now on ebay. No reserve, starting at 1 cent. It kills me but I have to sell this week as I'm moving interstate. My loss, your gain...

Andy - January 24th, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Good luck! Type 3's are so under valued. Good for buyers, but means people are reluctant to restore them!
Link for those interested
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Volkswagen-Type-3-Fastback-1971-1600-TL-VW-/1605364785...

slippy - January 24th, 2011 at 10:22 PM

:rolleyes: Yeah, why would anyone want to restore something that looks nicer, goes faster and handles better than a beetle? (Let the flaming begin... :smilegrin: )

slippy - January 27th, 2011 at 09:45 PM

There are more pics on ebay now (engine bay, dash etc.). Bidding is progressiing nicely. No reserve so it will be sold when auction ends this Sunday night.

waveman1500 - January 28th, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Fastys aren't really my thing, but it's worth a lot more than what the bidding is now. Good luck with the sale.

Andy - January 28th, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Hmm, I love my type 3's but at 1 1/2 times the weight they are not faster and with rubber mounted suspension don't have as precise handling.
I have one of each, so have the best of both worlds :)
Lets see how far you go on the sale!

slippy - January 29th, 2011 at 06:55 PM

According to factory manuals (on http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals ):

1971 1600 Type 3: Max speed 84mph , 0 - 50mph in 11.5sec, max output 65bhp, max torque 86.8ft lbs
1971 1600 Beetle: Max speed 81mph , 0 - 50mph in 12.5sec, max output 60bhp, max torque 81.7ft lbs

Manuals also quote 2226lbs vs 1918lbs (type 3 is 14% heavier)

(Geez I sound like a nerd :smirk: )

slippy - January 31st, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Ending up going for a shade over $2000 if anyone is interested. A good price for the buyer I think.

AyeBee - January 31st, 2011 at 03:34 PM

Can't remember what you were originally asking for it, you reasonably happy it's sold?

slippy - January 31st, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Was asking $3K initially but had to meet the market as I needed a quick sale. So I guess $2K aint all bad, but I think the new owner should be pleased.

Andy - February 3rd, 2011 at 09:09 PM

Hope it's going to a good home :)

I think you need to take those figures with a grain of salt. Weights quoted vary drastically depending on with/without fluids etc. A beetle is lighter than that 1850lbs is more realistic.
I have a period wheels road test of a fasty (manual) clocked at 12.7sec 0-50mph also.

That's all academic though, I'd rather be driving a type 3 for daily commuting any day. Surprisingly I have found my auto fasty gets similar economy on highway runs to the beetle!! It's worse around town though.