Board Logo

Weber IDF troubles
baja burley - February 16th, 2014 at 04:18 PM

Hi lads, I've just pulled my bug out of the shed again after about 5 years of neglect:fakesniff:

Went and did a quick tune on the carbs ( twin 40IDF) and just cannot get the thing to run nicely, 1600dp btw. It's running 50 idles, so jetting is not an issue.

I did notice a dribble from the accel pump jet? The little grey one that pokes out the side of the barrel. It's the one that squirts when you pump throttle, just not sure what the 'jet' is called..

Is this a problem seen much before? What needs fixing?

This thing uses a ridiculous amount if fuel too.

Cheers
Luke

Bizarre - February 16th, 2014 at 04:37 PM

Probably gunk caught under the needle and seat

baja burley - February 16th, 2014 at 05:07 PM

Is it easy to get in there and clean it out?

ian.mezz - February 16th, 2014 at 05:23 PM

youtube is your friend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl1Nkuk99Pc 

Performance Upholstery - February 18th, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Hi mate, I believe I sold you these carbs years ago... My name on here at the time would have been bajamick or 1916baja... I did tell you they needed an air leak fixed on the butterfly shafts. If you have not had this fixed they won't run properly. Then they'll need to be jetted to suit your motor. They were jetted to suit my 1916cc.

Hope this helps.
Mick.

mnsKmobi - February 18th, 2014 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja burley
Hi lads, I've just pulled my bug out of the shed again after about 5 years of neglect:fakesniff:

Went and did a quick tune on the carbs ( twin 40IDF) and just cannot get the thing to run nicely, 1600dp btw. It's running 50 idles, so jetting is not an issue.

I did notice a dribble from the accel pump jet? The little grey one that pokes out the side of the barrel. It's the one that squirts when you pump throttle, just not sure what the 'jet' is called..

Is this a problem seen much before? What needs fixing?

This thing uses a ridiculous amount if fuel too.

Cheers
Luke

What is the fuel pressure? Could be too high.

Craig Torrens - February 18th, 2014 at 10:30 PM

If they have been sitting for 5 years then you really should pull them down for a freshen up. Old fuel can leave a varnish like residue in carbs that can easily block passages and cause you grief.

Oxidisation of the housings etc can also cause problems with blockages, and O rings will deteriorate.

Its worth taking the hour or so to do a pull down and clean :tu:

baja burley - February 20th, 2014 at 09:41 PM

Really Mick? I vaguely remember the 1916 chat! Far out that was a long time ago. It seems I should pull them down and rebuild anyway. I cant remember any chat about air leaks, was too long ago. When you say it was in the shaft, do you remember if it was a damaged butterfly or something else?

baja burley - February 20th, 2014 at 09:46 PM

I did check the idle jets - 50 jets. Surely the others can wait until its idling and running sweet to be swapped and dialed in yeah?

baja burley - February 20th, 2014 at 09:49 PM

Fuel pressure is whatever is coming from the factory pump

mnsKmobi - February 21st, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja burley
Fuel pressure is whatever is coming from the factory pump

Apparently factory pumps can put out higher pressure than the webers can cope with. I changed to a Carter rotary because my stock pump stopped putting out anything!

Here is a thread on The Samba which has lots of useful stuff about putting dual carbs on a T1 engine, including about fuel pressure:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=572107&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Performance Upholstery - February 25th, 2014 at 05:55 PM

The air leak was behind the linkage on the left hand carbie I believe... Between the carb body and the butterfly shaft. ( the shaft the butterflies are bolted to) I did explain this, that's why they were so cheap! It's why I could never get them to run right .. Always had an erratic idle. I went to kadrons and sold the whole kit with linkage and manifolds for like $200... Spray some wd40 or something like that on the 2 throttle linkages when it's running like crap and watch the revs change. They need rebuilding including that seal.