Board Logo

H4 and Semi-sealed conversion 68 beetle
Aussie Dubbin - March 18th, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Hi all
I have been reading as much as I can find but can't find the info I need.
I want to convert my standard headlights to semi sealed units with h4s.

Question:
Do I need an adapter bracket to secure the new headlight? Classic sells one for $40 each. Or can I fit a semi sealed as a direct replacement?

I am well aware about the need to ensure the wiring is up to scratch, and can do that work without issue. I probably need to change the fitting to p43 to make easier than p45 right?

Cheers Aaron

1303Steve - March 19th, 2014 at 05:17 AM

Hi

Narva do a sealed beam base that you could use, you can get Narva stuff at your local parts store.

You can then use your stock head light rims to cover everything up but you will need to cut off the adjusting screws or you can buy replacement headlight rims to cover it all up.

Buy the best H4 healights you can find, Hella or Narva brand and get some good globes in them, avoid no name ones.

Steve

Joel - March 19th, 2014 at 09:13 AM

There is 2 ways you can go.

Get some plug and play VW specific semi-sealeds that 74+ beetles, Kombis and Golfs use which have the integrated mount and bolt straight into the tabs in your guards or get some universal mounting buckets and fit some universal 7" inserts.

going the universal style will give you more options for insert choice, the VW semi-sealed are limited to Hella ($$$$) or the cheapo no name ones like Steve says, Neolite, Denji, Arteb etc

The wiring is all the same as your existing asymmetric headlights.

hulbyw - March 19th, 2014 at 08:54 PM

I have a '68 also. I used some Kombi ones found at a wrecker years ago. I removed the adjusting screws from the headlight rims and used stainless steel bolts and nuts to fill the holes that were left. To adjust the headlights just remove the rims. I ordered a set of Hella's from a local parts supplier and he made a mistake on the price in my favour but they were still expensive. Worth it though, as the lights are really good now. Used relays on the lights as well. Part No
141941041 on the Classic site looks similar to mine. I used some Morris 1100 chrome retaining bezels from memory. Whatever is available from the wreckers from 70's era cars with 7" headlights
Really worthwhile upgrade.
Cheers.....wayne

Boozo - March 20th, 2014 at 12:07 AM

on my 68 I got some basic Ebay ones, and made them fit the bodies mine has. I'm not sure if there is that much plastic in a stock one, but these have a big plastic ring which needed a small amount of carving plus a few daps of glue and a tie wire :) the 7inch lights fit almost perfectly in there, and therefore retain stock adjustment.

Having said that it was an ass around, the easiest way would be to get the VW hella ones and screw them into the tabs...this is what I'll be doing next time

Aussie Dubbin - March 21st, 2014 at 09:45 PM

Ok I've found this conversion bucket on narva website.
http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/housings-2 
Looks Like a universal headlight mount. Is this what some people are using? Looks like 55/100 might be a good globe choice.
Part number 72190. I dont like that it lists a specific headlight... But that looks like any 7" will fit

Aussie Dubbin - March 21st, 2014 at 09:48 PM

Ps thanks

1303Steve - March 22nd, 2014 at 08:21 AM

Hi

Your better of with their plus range of bulbs, like +120, not high wattage ones that overload the wiring. I used a similar base to the Narva bucket but I got mine from a Mini wrecker.

Steve