Board Logo

1915cc turbo intercooled??
kroozzn63 - May 19th, 2007 at 11:14 AM

guys ive got my turbo 1915cc with standard oil sump and large external oil cooler.. shes running with a ems stinger efi system large intercooler all good shiat ie 8 dowell counter weighted crank mahle pistons spring loaded pushrod tubes umm chevy roller rockers etc etc are these babies reliable ? im addicted to driving her shes a blast but and i keep her running on 98 v power with octane booster
warm her up cool her down but nervous about her longevity being a 1915 and keeping in mind ill drive her maybe once every two weeks

kroozzn63 - May 19th, 2007 at 11:17 AM

heres another

bond - May 19th, 2007 at 12:34 PM

drive it like you stole it

nick

kroozzn63 - May 19th, 2007 at 03:29 PM

lol

Bizarre - May 19th, 2007 at 04:56 PM

you have gauges??

Head temp?
Oil temp?
Pressure?

kroozzn63 - May 19th, 2007 at 05:02 PM

yes, big tacho, oil pressure, boost this was designed for off road racing , ext cut off switch etc running an 1800 kombi box because he found it stronger than 2 ltr box "blew one up"
so far the 1800 is still sweet.

Bizarre - May 19th, 2007 at 06:33 PM

If you are keeping track of head temp, oil pressure and temp....well.............YEEHAH!!

greedy53 - May 19th, 2007 at 07:19 PM

over insure it than drive like ya stole it

1303Steve - May 20th, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Hi

Don't get to addicted to boost and it will last OK.

Cooling down on a turbo motor should not involve letting you car idle, just drive it steady and keep it off boost about 5 ks before you get to your destination is all the cool down it will need. And to warm it up just drive normally of boost, don't sit there idling it either.

Steve

kroozzn63 - May 20th, 2007 at 10:39 AM

:thumb OK thanks yeah ill do that .. man ist so addictive just to launch it into oblivion . wow what a rush compaired to my 1600 ,

[ Edited on 20-5-2007 by kroozzn63 ]

newoldmanx - May 21st, 2007 at 03:39 PM

what sort of "boost" are we talking here lb'ge like??? and what have you set your red line to????
as above and
imho not knowing the engine keep clean synthetic oil up to it stay below 8lb and 5000 rpm youll be pretty safe
so will everyone else ;) if you have sensible fun

Turbo54 - May 23rd, 2007 at 01:47 PM

Debiasi on here ran a 1915 turbo as a daily / drag car for a couple of years without major issues and wasn't soft.
Can ran best of 11.88 was fine on the street, just keep an eye on things. As it is open back temps should be good and just change the oil regularly,
T54

kroozzn63 - May 23rd, 2007 at 03:18 PM

Thanks all yeah she set at about 8 pound has run up to 20pound but nice and mild and redlines about 5500 so sounds sorted for that , being new to this im very grateful for all advice and education in lamans terms ,thanks again cant wait till shes regod :smilegrin:

aussiebaja - May 25th, 2007 at 09:43 PM

do you got a link to your buildup?

kroozzn63 - May 26th, 2007 at 10:10 AM

nah sorry i bought it done ,but heres a rough story it was bought as a baja unfinished project basicly a 69 IRS pan very rust free body ,it was in a front yard and a guy that my mate knows builds turbo ricers and drift cars now ,builds racing porsches .he saw it and his dad has had kombis for years, so he was very fimilar with aircooled motors and plenty of spares ,thought a race spec baja to take to the dunes would be fun , so he started with building a full house 1915cc after alot of research about he best engine size etc etc they tried a 2ltr gearbox blow it up and many motors were trashed .even put NOS on one and blow the head out on the street "those bloody northern beach boys are crazy"finally the 1800 kombi box was the trick "keeping mind he wanted to build it with as much stock parts as possible so replacing parts where easy and cheaper ,he tried porsche cvs etc and seetled with kombi stuff type 3 drums on the rear which i still have trouble stopping, but its so hard to drive this baby slow and with no speedo at the moment its hard to say how fast your going ,then he has put the small "lancer"?turbo and a supra intercoller on the 1915cc and efi system "EMS STINGER" surge tank etc etc and the blow of valve reciculates back into the intercooler pipe so when thashing in the dirt no dust can get in. and thats about it, oh a cams spec full roll cage