Board Logo

replacing clutch return spring?...can it be done with engine in?
Anthiron - May 28th, 2007 at 11:11 AM

hello all.

my clutch return spring has snapped and therefore my clutch is only operating with the spring from the pressure plate, which makes taking off from the lights rather tedious.

is it possible to replace the spring with the engine in? do i need to take the arm off the clutch fork assembly? because i recently replaced the clutch forks and that arm is on there so tight its not funny.

Nicko

Anthiron - May 28th, 2007 at 11:15 AM

also i just had a look at classics website and they dont appear to stock them. where can i get one from?

vw54 - May 28th, 2007 at 11:38 AM

there available new good german quality from Vintage in Campsie Sydney 02-9789-1777

They can be changed while the engine is in place but its a P rick of a job and probaly quicker to remove engine do the bushes on the clutch arm fork while your in there

Anthiron - May 28th, 2007 at 01:26 PM

ok cool, thanks for that dave.

vw54 - May 28th, 2007 at 05:33 PM

yeah i did it once BUT quicker as i had the car on a hoist as well if u aint got access to a hoist so you can stand underneath it b u g gar twice as hard :puke:puke

Its only 30 mins to pull the engine check you clutch n pressure plate while your there and the flywheel oil seal n end flaot

theres heaps of good things to pull it for LOL

so any ideas on why the return spring broke is there a cause or just a weak spot

I was breaking clutch cables for a while on my Orange Smoothieeee i did 3 i think untill i pulled the gearbox to replace it one day I found some dick head had fitted the clutch arm on reverse so the wing nut wasnt sliding in the nice recessed area it was draging and causeing tension causing the cable to break i couldnt see the arm was on backwards until i removed the box simple things some times stuff you LOL

VWFREAK - May 28th, 2007 at 06:41 PM

Yes but it sucks, I did it about a month back. Have fun and have the beers on standby, you'll need them.

Anthiron - May 28th, 2007 at 10:12 PM

well it was broken when i changed the clutch fork, so its possible it has been broken the whole time ive had the car and its only now as the spring of the pressure plate is starting to wear out that i am noticing it more,

my car is pretty high in the rear, especially if i bounce the rear up and down so the wheels tuck right under i might have enough room, other wise i might drop the engine, ive got some of the torsion style throwout bearing clips to put on to replace the stock ones anyway, its not dropping the engine thats a bother, i can do that in about 5 minutes, it however takes a lot longer to take my engine cage off :(

im more worried about trying to take the clutch arm off, as i know when i put the arm back on the new fork shaft it was incredibly tight :(

vw54 - May 29th, 2007 at 07:05 AM

when you get it off clean it all up there a spline to fit and a small circlip check all the other bits when your in there

Anthiron - May 29th, 2007 at 10:39 AM

yeah the spline fitting on the arm was fine, but the clutch fork shaft was a bit worn, i tried to get it a bit neater, which worked to some extent but it was still tight, the cirlclip is on.

Old Dubber - May 29th, 2007 at 11:05 AM

If you want to come to my place at Everton Hills, you can use
my hoist.

Grahame 33557943

Anthiron - May 29th, 2007 at 11:09 AM

thanks for the offer Grahame, iill give it a go first, but ill keep your offer in mind.