Board Logo

Electic Fuel Pump Location?
mickmick - June 28th, 2009 at 01:52 PM

I was going to get a electric fuel pump for my 68 beetle with 1916, most likely this one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12-Volt-SOLID-STATE-ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP-4-5to6PSI-129LP...

Is there a particular spot i should or should not put it?
Cheers.

eraser - June 28th, 2009 at 01:56 PM

below the fuel tank

BiX - June 28th, 2009 at 02:01 PM

Under the fuel tank. Make sure you wire it so it auto cuts if the engine stops, also make sure you check you entire fuel system, lines fitings etc while you at it.

barls - June 28th, 2009 at 02:45 PM

Check whether it is a push or suction pump as this also makes a difference to location,but I agree with both of the other replies.

eraser - June 28th, 2009 at 03:48 PM

Quick question.. but how does this soild state pump work?? Solid state means it has no moving parts right? so how the hell does it work :P

mickmick - June 28th, 2009 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eraser
Quick question.. but how does this soild state pump work?? Solid state means it has no moving parts right? so how the hell does it work :P

Not sure but my friend put one in his Kombi and all is good. This might be a silly ? but do you block the old pump off or take it out or anything?

skelaaleks - June 28th, 2009 at 05:03 PM

take the old pump push rod and bakerlite block. And make up an allloy blank off plate

(its all about the weight reduction):yes:

aleks

Joel2 - June 28th, 2009 at 05:12 PM

be carefull if the bakelite flange is tight in the case

they can snap off in the case real easy and its a real PITA to get the remains out

68AutoBug - June 28th, 2009 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mickmick
I was going to get a electric fuel pump for my 68 beetle with 1916, most likely this one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12-Volt-SOLID-STATE-ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP-4-5to6PSI-129LP...

Is there a particular spot i should or should not put it?
Cheers.

You can place it anywhere... front or back...
I placed Mine under the fuel tank on the front wall
I have a switch under the dash that I can turn it off with..
its hooked thru the ignition, so the key has to be on for power to the switch and then to the pump..

cheers

LEE

http://community.webshots.com/user/68autobug 

Craig Torrens - June 28th, 2009 at 08:05 PM

they are a good pump and I have used the same style for over a decade with no problems.

The pump needs to be mounted under the tank and should also be mounted at 45deg...............so that the fuel enters from the bottom and exits out the top....hope that makes sense !

mickmick - June 28th, 2009 at 09:16 PM

So i should get an auto electrician to hook it up through the ignition then i guess along with the horn. I think i get what you mean with the 45deg too Craig.

Joel2 - June 28th, 2009 at 09:57 PM

best to wire it up with a saftey cut out
so if ur in a prang and the engine stalls the fuel pump doesnt keep running

i did this first time by using the charge light from the alt to switch a relay
as long as the alternator was spinning the fuel pump ran

but i found a better method
fuel pump relay from an 80s EFI car works well
just takes the tach signal from the coil

BiX - June 29th, 2009 at 01:38 PM

There is an of the shelf relay that is used for LPG setups. It also primes the system when you switch on the ignition. Ie it runs the pumpf ro about 3 secs.

68AutoBug - June 29th, 2009 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eraser

I don't know either....
All the electric fuel pumps I've seen tick when they are pumping....
its strange that an old looking design, metal pump should be labelled as solid state...

Lee

aintgotitmusthaveit - June 30th, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Guessing....
Your mechanical pump is using a push rod to move a diaphram that pumps the fuel.
These ones use magnets that are establshed by passing a current though a coil of wires.
By changing the poles your able to make a metallised diaphram bounce back and forth ( just like the push rod does on the old style pump but now you use the magic of a magnet).
Thats why these things are metal!
They say no moving parts burt really there is no rotating parts. the diaphragm is still pumping.

Craig, why 45 degrees?- Should not matter.

BiX , Where do I find these relays?

Joel - June 30th, 2009 at 09:55 PM

i used the stock Bosch fuel pump relay from a VL commondore

shaihulud - July 2nd, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Most electric fuel pumps are not in the engine bay, probably because they don't like the heat or they are push pumps.

I'd fit it under the tank and definitely fit a cut off system linked to the generator output.

If you link it to the generator output, it will cut the fuel if the engine stops and the ignition stays on.

That also means that the pump won't pump until the engine is cranking over when starting.

That should not be a problem. To need to crank the engine a bit before a start is better than an instant start, as it gets the oil pressure up a bit before the engine starts.

That's why engines that start instantly usually clatter until the oil pressure gets up.

Some years ago I needed an electric pump to get me back to the city when the mechanical pump on my Hillman Hunter failed. It was clearly marked as not to be fitted anywhere near the battery. Why? I don't know. Maybe sparks?

What you probably need is a low pressure Facet pump.

As to the old pump, take the push rod out, re-fit it and blank off the fuel holes.

Joel - July 2nd, 2009 at 06:53 PM

been there and tried that one, works well cept the fuel pump wont run when cranking, you need to wire in a primer button

the genny doesnt spin fast enough when cranking for the charge light to pull a relay in

1303Steve - July 2nd, 2009 at 07:16 PM

Hi

I went to my FLAPS today and asked them to get me in tachometric relay, they tried all their suppliers, nobody had heard of them.

Joel, do you have a part number for the VL relay?

Steve

HotRodMatt - July 2nd, 2009 at 08:06 PM

You can get the tachometric relays direct from CBB 02 4722 9313

Joel - July 2nd, 2009 at 08:12 PM

yep, will grab it for you next time i'm down there

its not the sort of thing a flaps would carry, you would need to order one through a dealership spare parts department.
dont trust a second hand one

early EFI water cooled vws use a similar relay

https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/archive/pictures/10998/600/1/P/1FEAB2B/fuel_pump_relay.jpg

Craig Torrens - July 2nd, 2009 at 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aintgotitmusthaveit

cause that's what the instructions say !:lol:

68AutoBug - July 2nd, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Torrens
Quote:
Originally posted by aintgotitmusthaveit

cause that's what the instructions say !:lol:

But I never read instructions...

they make life too difficult...

and its difficult enough when you don't read instructions...
lol

LEE

Joel - July 6th, 2009 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
Hi

I went to my FLAPS today and asked them to get me in tachometric relay, they tried all their suppliers, nobody had heard of them.

Joel, do you have a part number for the VL relay?

Steve

;)

not sure which one is part #

HotRodMatt - July 7th, 2009 at 09:03 AM

Make it easy for yourself...

CBB have all the stuff you need and they'll know what you are after and how to use it properly.

http://www.cbbvw.com/sale/PumpRelay.jpg

"Electric Fuel Pump, Tachometric Relay and Fuel Shut Off Diode. Reliable and safe fuel delivery."

1303Steve - July 7th, 2009 at 09:08 AM

Thanks Joel

Holley make a relay that works on oil pressure.

Matt, I already have a pump, I will call to see if I can buy the relay.

Steve

HotRodMatt - July 7th, 2009 at 09:16 AM

Yep all available separately...

Camo - July 7th, 2009 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HotRodMatt
Make it easy for yourself...

CBB have all the stuff you need and they'll know what you are after and how to use it properly.

http://www.cbbvw.com/sale/PumpRelay.jpg

"Electric Fuel Pump, Tachometric Relay and Fuel Shut Off Diode. Reliable and safe fuel delivery."

That system looks like it just uses a fuel tap type shut off, you need something that will actually shut the fuel pump off in my opinion.

Kev

Joel - July 7th, 2009 at 06:31 PM

thats an electric shut off solenoid

Camo - July 7th, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
thats an electric shut off solenoid

And it shuts off what ???? Fuel or power ??????