Board Logo

Beetle help please
augo - July 3rd, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Gday guys, I am trying to get my beetle running it has been sitting since 86. I noticed the intake pre heat pipe has corroded right through, will the car still run with no pre heat? Just want to see if the car runs before I start pulling it all apart.

Cheers

Bizarre - July 3rd, 2009 at 10:38 AM

yes it will still run but the manifold may ice up a bit and cause it to run rough
depending how big the hole is you may get a backfire

Pauld - July 4th, 2009 at 02:09 AM

it will leak exhaust but the bug engines cope with a fair amount of leak and only pop a bit but shouldnt hurt too much untill you get a chance to swap it out, up here none of our 3 bugs run heat risers but thats because its rarely under 20 degrees

augo - July 7th, 2009 at 07:20 PM

Excellent, cheers I will see if I can get it running!

chunks54 - August 5th, 2009 at 12:39 AM

One thing to note mate is that if it its the intake manifold section that is corroded the hole will be inside the engine bay (i.e. above the rear tin) and it will be leaking exhaust fumes into the engine bay which via the fanhousing will also get into your heating system.

May not be much good on a long run! CO poisoning is nasty and has a cumulative effect - every time you drive the car you will get worse.

djnee - August 5th, 2009 at 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chunks54
One thing to note mate is that if it its the intake manifold section that is corroded the hole will be inside the engine bay (i.e. above the rear tin) and it will be leaking exhaust fumes into the engine bay which via the fanhousing will also get into your heating system.

May not be much good on a long run! CO poisoning is nasty and has a cumulative effect - every time you drive the car you will get worse.

I'll second that!!

I ran our car for a few days like this...not good at all!
Easily cured by disconnecting the flexi pipes under the car and blocking the holes into the car with foam or something.

chunks54 - August 7th, 2009 at 06:09 PM

If you like a touch of 'hoodride' a good TEMPORARY fix for this would be the self adhesive backed foil that is used as exhaust wrap. it would seal quite neatly til you find another intake - at least it did on mine as I had the exact same problem and it stopped my clothes smelling like the insides of old VW's until I found a replacement part.