Board Logo

Can you boil the oil?
Yogie - August 7th, 2009 at 02:12 PM

I just arrived home after a short drive of maybe 15-20kms. As I was driving along, the engine started running rough and would actually stop if I put it in neutral while coasting. When I got home, it sounded like a boiling noise in the engine and wasn't sure if it is the oil or if it was fuel in the carby making the noise. No warning lights came on or anything to show a problem other than the rough engine feel.

This is a standard 1600 mexi beetle engine with a standard 34 pict carby and the temp outside was about 22 degrees if that makes any difference.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Yogie

Anthiron - August 7th, 2009 at 02:21 PM

was your float valve stuck? flooding the engine?

trickysimon - August 7th, 2009 at 02:31 PM

Boiling point of oil is over 250 celcius so I doubt its that :lol:

HappyDaze - August 7th, 2009 at 03:05 PM

The answer is yes, you can boil the oil - I've done just that. This happened at Amaroo Park once when the fan belt broke, and I didn't see the gen.light on. The engine got so hot that the cylinder studs went blue. There was a lot of popping and back-firing, because the rockers started to seize, and when I stopped in the pits we could hear the oil boiling! Luckily there was no major damage. Having said that, the engine would have to get bloody hot, as Simon said, over 250C, for the oil to boil. The oil in my engine at the time was very good quality, which probably prevented major damage.

Cheers, Greg

Yogie - August 7th, 2009 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthiron

I haven't checked but would that make a boiling noise?

One other thing, I did just fill up with fuel. If there was any water or other crap in it, could that be making the noise?

The engine was hot but the engine lid wasn't any hotter than normal.

Yogie

HappyDaze - August 7th, 2009 at 06:09 PM

One quick way to tell if it is really hot is spit on your finger and see if it sizzles when you touch the crank-case.

bajachris88 - August 7th, 2009 at 06:27 PM

if it was that hot though to boil oil, surely it would have been pinging off its tits before it even reached that stage!!

eraser - August 7th, 2009 at 09:59 PM

I have had the oil blow white smoke out of every nook and cranny when i was driving at 120 on a 47C day :P ahh the memories... And she didnt want to drive too well when it was that hot.

greedy53 - August 8th, 2009 at 07:22 AM

how did it run when cool was it still closing down when trying to idel and is the gearbox oil at correct level

Yogie - August 8th, 2009 at 07:40 AM

It was running fine when cool (and up until the last 5kms of my trip). Not sure about gearbox oil but motor oil level is fine.

68AutoBug - August 8th, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Does Your engine have a thermostat??
as Mexican thermostats when they fail they stay closed...

whereas the German ones used to stay open....

check Your Fan to see that its still connected and hasn't broken off...

also the alternator pulley to make sure it hasn't broken in the center weld....

the bottom pulley has a woodruff key to hold it to the crankshaft.. if this is broken or missing the pulley could spin on the crankshaft....

other than those things which would make your engine overheat....
its unlikely that the oil was actually boiling..
although it can get VERY HOT...

If Your carby needle and seat were stuck open then Your engine would be getting flooded... and would stop...
and could be spitting fuel into the inlet manifold....
this is a common occurence....
especially with electric fuel pumps....

LEE

Anthiron - August 8th, 2009 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Yogie
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthiron

I haven't checked but would that make a boiling noise?

One other thing, I did just fill up with fuel. If there was any water or other crap in it, could that be making the noise?

The engine was hot but the engine lid wasn't any hotter than normal.

Yogie

yes, it can make a similar sound if there are great gulps of fuel dropping down into the manifold. sounds like your symptoms too.