Board Logo

Stiff steering wheel!
Burgo - August 8th, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Hey hey all,
My 1974 beetle has a ridiculously stiff steering wheel which makes tight maneuvering a pain, just wondering if you guys have any tips in making the steering a bit more easy?

68AutoBug - August 8th, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Burgo
Hey hey all,
My 1974 beetle has a ridiculously stiff steering wheel which makes tight maneuvering a pain, just wondering if you guys have any tips in making the steering a bit more easy?

If Your beetle is a super then it could be one of the universal joints in the steering column... or a tight ball joint..??

If its NOT a Super - then someone may have tightened up Your steering box... adjustment....
Your steering wheel should have a bit of play i the straight ahead position and then the play should stop when turning the steering wheel... if the steering box is adjusted with the steering wheel NOT in the straight ahead position... it will be tight....

cheers

LEE

steering damper damaged??

Burgo - August 8th, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Its an L-series '74 bug. Thanks for the quick reply and ill check it out,
If anyone else has some suggestions please post =)

Burgo

bajachris88 - August 8th, 2009 at 12:55 PM

has it always been like this since u have owned the car?

sometimes just the transition from a power steering car to a none power steering, particularly if u got a smaller diameter aftermarket steering wheel (like a racing style spoke one) it can be a bit of a shock to the system, let alone having aftermarket wider front wheels. i don't know where ya come from or how much experience u have had, i'm just putting it out there in case, not insulting anyones intellegence or anything... you could have owned the bug for 20 yrs from all i'm aware... or u could be a 17 yr old learner... i wouldn't know :)

pod - August 8th, 2009 at 01:12 PM

i`m with Lee ,when i read the first post , the first thing that popped into my head was steering box adjustment to tight or bent steering damper

Burgo - August 8th, 2009 at 02:30 PM

Thanks tonnes guys, and bajachris- you must be stalking me lol, My beetle has a raceing standard steering wheel AND im a learner driver just beginning to drive the thing (from a power-steering background too lol) so I think its probably just me adjusting to it, but I'm gonna check the steering column just to make sure

Thanks again,
Burgo

DaveCarter - August 8th, 2009 at 04:38 PM

Yeah i found it really stiff in my bug when i went from power steering to a small racing wheel with 7inch wheels. This may sound stupid but from like a learners point of view i found it way easier in mine if i was rolling slightly before i started trying to turn the wheel, at least when parking.

1303Steve - August 8th, 2009 at 04:45 PM

Hi

Make sure your tyres are pumped up, 19-21 psi, also make sure that the steering box has lubricant in it, I like a mixture of STP & wheel bearing grease, also opposite the steering box is a dummy steering box (technical name escapes me ATM) these can seize up as well.

When the universal locks up up you usually get a tight spot in one position as the steering wheel turns.

Steve

Joel - August 8th, 2009 at 06:34 PM

Idler arm Steve ;)