Board Logo

CB Performance
Uncle Craig - January 31st, 2011 at 04:24 PM

G'day To all,
Well this has pr oberaly been discussed before but I am unable to find any information through the search side so here goes.
Has any one had some experiance with the CB performance under the deck lid turbo set up?
I am only looking for a a small turbo set up and that unit looks good to me.
I am running a 1915cc Dellorto 40 mm's, nice heads and all new components. Case, you name it. I know I will have to change the set up on the Dell's emulsion tubes but should give just that nice little sting when unleashed.
I can do it for just under $1k. Any thoughts???

best regards Craig

Camo - January 31st, 2011 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Craig
I can do it for just under $1k. Any thoughts???
best regards Craig

My thoughts since you asked - I just added up the parts required by CB Performance to turbo your engine with using your carbs and inlet manifolds and it comes to $1495. On top of this you would need to pay for shipping and CB charge a fortune for their shipping, hence why I still haven't bought their hideaway turbo manifold.

I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, but I can not see how you could do it for $1000 unless you already have a heap of the parts required. You could also take $100 off the $1495 if you went for the Schwitzer S2A turbo.

I honestly wish you all the luck with your mods and wish I could also have a turbo beetle so please don't let this slow you down. When you go ahead, maybe make a build thread for myself and others to learn.

Regards, Kevin

LOWBUG - January 31st, 2011 at 06:10 PM

Agreed, don't want to bust your bubble, my car is turbo charged and I've spent more money than you will need to for a basic set up, call CBB.

Even if you put together a system yourself using second hand parts for a $1000.00 you won't be satisfied, it won't run very nice or smooth.

It is really nice when its right.

Chris.

Uncle Craig - January 31st, 2011 at 06:58 PM

Arh boys, its not about the cost. I do have some components and would only use the smaller SA2 turbo. Pressure ducting is easy made. It would only cost as stated. So, has anyone had experience with the under deck lid header system?
And the smaller sa2 turbo combined with either the Dell's or webers?

regds CD

SuperOwen - January 31st, 2011 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LOWBUG
Agreed, don't want to bust your bubble, my car is turbo charged and I've spent more money than you will need to for a basic set up, call CBB.

Even if you put together a system yourself using second hand parts for a $1000.00 you won't be satisfied, it won't run very nice or smooth.

It is really nice when its right.

Chris.

Why on earth wouldn't it run nice or smooth just because it didn't cost him a bucket?
Even if you just get the header you can always weld a different flange on to suit a t28 etc. That would save a few bucks on an external wastegate and open up more options for turbos. I think Rod Penrose might have some headers in stock out here, used or second hand, might be worth a call.

LOWBUG - January 31st, 2011 at 08:07 PM

Mmmmmm thats right.

Uncle Craig - January 31st, 2011 at 08:36 PM

Cheers SuperOwen! I'll Try Rod.

Uncle Craig - February 4th, 2011 at 02:15 PM

well, I think the upgrade project is up and running. Have a quote in at VW Parts and all looks a go. The guys there are really fair on the freight prices. will keep a post going.

Craig Torrens - February 4th, 2011 at 04:23 PM

Yep thats where I buy a LOT of parts from and the shipping is great value.