Board Logo

Dizzy drive removal
beachbuggy61 - February 4th, 2011 at 07:32 AM

Hi all,

How do I remove the distributor drive AND the two washers that at the bottom of the drive?

Motor's in situ so that probably makes it harder....

Any advice welcome thanks, Marc.

matberry - February 4th, 2011 at 07:51 AM

remove the distributer, fuel pump and fuel pump base. Don't break the fuel pump base as it can get awkward to get the broken pieces out, it has a long (80mm or so) protrusion that goes down into the case into a support hole to guide the pump pushrod. From here the hard part is gripping the dissy drive without the correct puller. Might be able to use outside C-clip pliers to grip inside the drive slot. As you pull the drive up, you also need to turn anti clockwise as it disengages with it's crank drive gear. If the shims stick to the drive you need to push them down to thier seat with a long screwdriver through the fuel pump hole, they will bind into the brass drive gear and cause damage and stop the drive coming out, if they stay on the seat the drive should come out as you lift and turn. Then remove the shims with a magnet. .... Easy as. :) Good luck with the job.

vwsteve - February 4th, 2011 at 08:01 AM

this sounds a little dodgy but it worked a treat for me

you know those little green bamboo twigs used to holding plants upright in pots?
when i was scratching my head 1 day trying to do the same i ended up using 1 of those, they come in a bag with a few dif thicknesses, i picked the right one which i jammed into the top hole of the drive fairly hard and then because the stick is so long its easy to twist, make sure you lube the tunnel with oil a bit to make the shaft come out easier, be careful not to lose the washers when the shaft comes up, i place a bit of grease on the washers to hold them together and in place too

like i said, sounds dodgy but worked a treat for me,shit of a job btw too:lol:

beachbuggy61 - February 4th, 2011 at 08:10 AM

Thanks gents.

So I just need a magnet.

Off I go!

Thanks, Marc.