Board Logo

Beetle fuel sender calibration
Yogie - March 1st, 2011 at 04:02 PM

I replaced the fuel sender in my S Bug (1972) with a new one and can't get it reading correctly. It fluctuates between just under full on the guage when it is full to just over half full on the gauge when it is actually empty.

I tried to bend the 2 arms with the floats on them to where I thought it would help but with no luck.

Has anyone got a tried and true method of getting it to read correctly? Our 68 standard beetle is great and I would like this one to be like that too if I can.

Thanks

Yogie

1303Steve - March 1st, 2011 at 04:13 PM

Hi

The problem might be in the gauge itself or the voltage regulator/vibrator on the back of the speedo.

Steve

Yogie - March 1st, 2011 at 04:25 PM

Is there any way for me to test them to see if that is the problem?

Thanks

Yogie

beetleboyjeff - March 1st, 2011 at 05:03 PM

Interestingly, my original fuel guage sender in my 75 L bug never sends the needle up to full, but you can see on the sender where the float arm contacts the section that looks like it has wire wrapped around it, that one end of the wire is quite worn - the full end.
I have tried 2 new senders, and they have both been all over the place when the tank is nearly empty (my original one is quite accurate on this end), causing me to run out on a number of occasions. I ended up putting the original one back in - the empty end is the most critical.
I assume the new senders must be some sort of cheap knock offs, as I am pretty sure the guage and vibrator etc. are fine, as they work on my original sender.

vw54 - March 1st, 2011 at 07:02 PM

yeah its ALWAYS the VIBRATOR always F $#% s up

No seriously it always the proble u have to have several to exchange and see if you get a correct reading

Do any of the VW shops up in Brissy have a supply of VIBRATORS

cb john - March 1st, 2011 at 07:09 PM

to check the float you need to measure the resistance...if full tank / float up / resistance suppose to be 10 ohms, on empty / float down / resistance is 75 ohms...if this is correct, check the vibrator..