Board Logo

Rear disc brakes crap again
Aussie Dubbin - July 6th, 2011 at 07:04 PM

Hi Guys,
I have bought my rear EMPI disc brake kit and i am bout to bleed them up, probably in about 5-6 weeks.
I hare (since buying) seen numerous negative comments about this kit and am starting to think that i might need to modify what i am doing.
I have been reading Turbo 54s build thread and noticed what looks like matching support fin marks. I will post pics below of what i am talking aobut.

The EMPI rear rotors are sooooo heavy and look really think and i rcon i could machine down the hub and just keep the mating face(not the disc). and then machine a lip so that i could possible slip on a ford rotoe to go with matching ford ea caliprs.

I hope it doesn't get to this but i will only know in time. Youknow when you try and try and try to get a bargain and then... You all know it, it doesn't work in your favour.

You can see in the picit is in the top... look at the fins and ocmpare to my pic next

Aussie Dubbin - July 6th, 2011 at 07:13 PM

Looks pretty siilar to this one

Craig Torrens - July 6th, 2011 at 07:14 PM

yep, machining down a disc will work well as a hub.

Use ford or the nissan pintara/skyline rear brakes :tu:

Aussie Dubbin - July 6th, 2011 at 07:15 PM

another one

vw54 - August 5th, 2011 at 04:09 PM

Are you having trouble with the EMPI discs are they rubbing all the time

Aussie Dubbin - August 5th, 2011 at 04:18 PM

Havn't seen service yet, ut i keepp seeing people selling or swapping away from their empi brakes. I was hoping to use them and get lucky, but i haven't seen a positive recomendation yet. They are fitted but no brake lines yet.

I saw the above cut down hub and thought it looked identical to the empi full peice hub i have. If thats the case then i could machine down mine and fit slotted ford ones and then... custom mount ford rear calipers...

that was my thought

LOWBUG - August 5th, 2011 at 06:29 PM

Did you consider at all to call CBB about there disc brake kits, instead of sending your money to the yanks, and getting something that your not happy with and can't complain aout cause as anyone who's bought parts from the US, if you have have a problem, they don't give a shit.