Board Logo

Strange clutch problem (problem found)
Thinker - July 13th, 2011 at 08:40 PM

Took my 70 bug out yesterday to go and get the kids not to far from home.

Got the kids everyone piled in and of home we went, maybe 500 meters later had troubles selecting a gear but with a bit of love it went in, but then the next change was not going to go.

Cruised the rest of the way with out the clutch shifting fine (with the right revs gotta love older gear boxes)

Today did all the checks I could without taking out the motor.
Adjusted clutch
Checked Bowden drop and adjusted
Losened engine bolts gave it a wiggle and tighter back up

No luck

I've got the car off the ground with the hand brake on engine running clutch in and I can not select a gear, when I let the handbrake off wheels start to spin and I can select 1st, 2nd, and 3rd with some love.

Without engine running select all gears no problems

Any ideas.

grumble - July 13th, 2011 at 09:15 PM

Does the clutch feel normal or a little stiffer or spongier,I am assuming that you have either lost a torsion spring in the clutch plate or cracked a diaphragm,I am opting for the former either way you have done all of the externals and now the engine comes out. Cheers

Thinker - July 13th, 2011 at 09:23 PM

Clutch feels normal.
I figured engine will need to come out (bugger) but maybe some will have trick like scratch your left nut while shifting to solve the problem.

Camo - July 13th, 2011 at 09:25 PM

Sounds as if the clutch pressure plate is not releasing fully. Have you tried to select reverse, if not try with motor running and foot on the clutch (to floor), if reverse is still grinding and cant be selected this will support my thoughts of clutch not releasing.

Good luck, Kev

Thinker - July 13th, 2011 at 09:58 PM

You got it I can't select reverse with engine running.

So what saying is that for what ever reason the clutch plate isn't releasing from the fly wheel.

Craig Torrens - July 13th, 2011 at 10:03 PM

you may have a clutch cable that is about to let go (break!). It will feel normal to push, but due to there being only a couple of strands left it wont be releasing the pressure plate properly (the cable stretches instead of pulling)

Thinker - July 13th, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Torrens
you may have a clutch cable that is about to let go (break!). It will feel normal to push, but due to there being only a couple of strands left it wont be releasing the pressure plate properly (the cable stretches instead of pulling)

How can I check that clutch lever arm is pulling the the right distance.

When I was doing all my checks I was wedging the clutch pedal with a piece of wood off the seat and then sticking a 3" file handle between the lever arm and the engine should it be more than that.

matberry - July 13th, 2011 at 10:21 PM

2nd the cable breakin.

Tighten up the adjustment until you get a clutch or the cable breaks, if it adjusts up, it'll soon break anyway :), 95% chance from your description

Thinker - July 13th, 2011 at 11:06 PM

That was the other thing I tried was an over adjustment and I didn't get the clutch back.

matberry - July 13th, 2011 at 11:12 PM

So when you tightened up the cable, you never got any clutch and the pedal never changed it's feel?

To visually check the lever, look at the wing nut, without any foot on the pedal, you should have about 2-3mm of free travel of the lever before it contacts the throwout to the release ring inside the bell housing. Then get someone to put thier foot on the pedal, and you should see the lever move forward around 25mm.

Thinker - July 13th, 2011 at 11:22 PM

That about what I'm getting with out checking with a ruler maybe even a bit more.

I'm starting to think that the clutch plate is sticking on the spline.

matberry - July 13th, 2011 at 11:28 PM

If the lever is movinig that far and there's no noises from a broken throw out fork, I'd go with the pressure plate has died, a diaphram spring broken or whatever....engine out dude. At least you know where the bolts are. :D

Thinker - July 13th, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Yeah maybe I should have continued on going when loosened them off

vw54 - July 14th, 2011 at 07:08 AM

Check the cable first and replace the outer tube as well if the cable is gone

before pulling the engine

presuming the 3 engine gearbox mounts and gear shift linkage coupling are good as well

Thinker - July 16th, 2011 at 06:40 PM

Pull the motor out today, bingo crack diaphragm spring bummer need to get a new clutch kit.

Any recommendation or should a say has any got a clutch that they wish they didn't