Board Logo

ELECTRONIC IGNITION!!! help meeee :(
IEATSAND - July 14th, 2011 at 07:15 AM

ok, so i have bought an electronic ignition kit for my buggy. not an ebay kit but a legit kit from a vw supplier in labrador. I installed the kit yesterday as per directions and it seemed fairly straight forward. I checked if my coil would suit it beforehand and that all checked out. I started the car the first few times and it was all fine, went for a run up the street and it cut out on me, then i tried to start it back up and it kept cutting out and running like a pig. so i pulled the dizzy cap off and it seems that there is a large scratch on the top of the piece that replaces the points, im not too sure if this is meant to be like this. Also everything has been inserted properly but it seems the magnet/washer thing is stopping the rotor from clicking right down into place and atm it is just freely spinning. HELP ME!!!

cesiumfrog - July 14th, 2011 at 08:34 AM

what brand?
is it the right one for the distributor?
i think one of them requires trimming the rotor base to fit
some distributors properly?

donn - July 14th, 2011 at 08:34 AM

Compufire? I had a similar problem, seems that it requires some to be taken off the bottom of the rotor button, still haven't sorted mine yet as I reinstalled the points to get it going. Rod Penrose informs me that this shouldn't be required so I'll have to organise a run down to the Gong and let him loose on the wench as from what I can find by measuring there dosn't seem to be enough room under the dizzy cap to fit the button when the module is in place.. :yes:

matberry - July 14th, 2011 at 09:01 AM

Yep, shortening of the rotor is required for the extra thickness of the plastic wheel that holds the magnets.

Joel - July 14th, 2011 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by donn
Rod Penrose informs me that this shouldn't be required

There's some merit to that statement.
The compu-fire kits are designed for straight drop in with a 009.

It's when they are fitted to Vac advance dissys that the mods become necessary due to the thicker swiveling base plate.

When I had my Compufire kit in my stock 034 I had to shave the base of the rotor and also fit the spacer on the shaft that came with the kit to get the air gap right between the module and the Magnet disc.

donn - July 14th, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Yep that's what Rod told me but he also said that they don't fit a vac advance dizzy but mine had a sticker on the box that said it was for a Bosh vac dizzy so who knows, not me. :no:

Joel - July 14th, 2011 at 12:17 PM

It depends on the distributor if it will fit or not.

The 1600 and 1300 twinport ones from 73 onwards with the stumpy cap and GB529 points can't take electronic ignition.

The points pivot post is part of the base plate but they fit the earlier 1600 and 1300 twinport with GB534 points and tall cap.

Never tried the early single port dissys though, but see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Uber Kafer - July 15th, 2011 at 12:27 PM

if its a Bosch distributor that is made in Australia it wont fit either. Forget it.

Seems that most of these replacement units were designed for distributors which are most common in the United States of Amazing.
The system that has the red unit that covers the shaft lobes seems to be the most versatile. Seems to overcome the clearance issues found with the magnet disc style.

68AutoBug - July 16th, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Hi

I have a new bosch SVDA dizzy from air cooled .net in the USA

and bought a pertronix kit to fit it..

I also had to grind a bit off the rotor bottom for the rotor to fit

it may depend on the rotor fitted...

as I have lots of rotors and some are longer than others... lol

BOSCH & non bosch...

On the aircooled.net website it says that a 009 kit will fit the SVDA but an SVDA kit won't fit the 009... ???
from a bad old memory..
I know it was something strange... lol

and the early carburetors don't have enough vacuum to drive the SVDA dizzies..

Lee

68AutoBug - July 16th, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IEATSAND
ok, so i have bought an electronic ignition kit for my buggy. not an ebay kit but a legit kit from a vw supplier in labrador. I installed the kit yesterday as per directions and it seemed fairly straight forward. I checked if my coil would suit it beforehand and that all checked out. I started the car the first few times and it was all fine, went for a run up the street and it cut out on me, then i tried to start it back up and it kept cutting out and running like a pig. so i pulled the dizzy cap off and it seems that there is a large scratch on the top of the piece that replaces the points, im not too sure if this is meant to be like this. Also everything has been inserted properly but it seems the magnet/washer thing is stopping the rotor from clicking right down into place and atm it is just freely spinning. HELP ME!!!

Yes

that is the normal problem...
it seems some rotors are longer than others....
you were lucky to get it going at all....
as the rotor won't click into the groove fully....
it needs filing down or grinding down...
doesn't take much time to do...

Lee