Board Logo

Weighted Pulley
Smiley - July 16th, 2011 at 01:55 PM

Is one of these weighted pulleys a worthwhile addition to an offroad vehicle?
I've just purchased a new engine and need to add a pulley to it. I was looking for a replacement sand seal so I can run the kit I have on my current engine when I stumbled on this.

http://www.vwparts.net/MB16-9700.html 

More rotational inertia should give better low down torque correct? Or is it not the norm to run one of these unless you have a lightened flywheel??

Smiley :)

68AutoBug - July 16th, 2011 at 02:38 PM

I believe they just balance the crankshaft better...

Maybe they are used mainly with counterweighted crankshafts??

LEE

Still sounds like a good idea... [like two flywheels}

Old Dubber - July 16th, 2011 at 05:13 PM

I would like to see some facts and figures

more weight means more energy to turn it

just my opinon

matberry - July 16th, 2011 at 06:01 PM

Bergs recommendations are to run the extra weight on a C?W crank and lightened flywheel. The extra mass is to help absorb engine harmonics. Proof.....dunno about that, although I would use one esp. with an extra light flywheel. What engine combo have you bought?

Newt - July 17th, 2011 at 01:03 PM

I would have thought that if it works as advertised (remembering that most cars on the road have harmonic balancers), then wouldnt it be more beneficial on a non c/w crank.

ie - Doesnt a C/W crank already help with the vibration / haromincs issue.

Newt

Smiley - July 17th, 2011 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by matberry
Bergs recommendations are to run the extra weight on a C?W crank and lightened flywheel. The extra mass is to help absorb engine harmonics. Proof.....dunno about that, although I would use one esp. with an extra light flywheel. What engine combo have you bought?

It's a 2054

94 bore and 74 stroke.
Los Panchitos Heads
Scat C20 cam.
Twin 40mm Kads.

Just thought it might help with some low down pulling grunt. I don't have a lightened flywheel and I don't really intend on running one.

Smiley :cool:

matberry - July 17th, 2011 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
It's a 2054

94 bore and 74 stroke.
Los Panchitos Heads
Scat C20 cam.
Twin 40mm Kads.

Just thought it might help with some low down pulling grunt. I don't have a lightened flywheel and I don't really intend on running one.

Woo Hoo :tu: you wont no yourself :). Sounds like a good combo. In that case, if you like it, I'd go for it. The mass won't hurt the baja and steel wont wear quickly like the non-annodised alloy ones.

Smiley - July 17th, 2011 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by matberry
Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
It's a 2054

94 bore and 74 stroke.
Los Panchitos Heads
Scat C20 cam.
Twin 40mm Kads.

Woo Hoo :tu: you wont no yourself :). Sounds like a good combo. In that case, if you like it, I'd go for it. The mass won't hurt the baja and steel wont wear quickly like the non-annodised alloy ones.

Yeah. I'm super excited. I can't wait to get it in the car.
I think I'll get one. I've heard they are meant to help reduce harmonics or something too? And if it helps engine life and runs smoother I'm all for it.

Smiley :D