Board Logo

Loose gearstick?
SebastienPeek - July 17th, 2011 at 01:17 PM

Hey all!

I currently own a 73 L Bug (click Zelda in my signature for thread), but her gearstick is somewhat, loose.

I talk about it here in the thread...
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=91039&page=5#pid852141 

I'm just curious as to whether this is normal behaviour for a stock shifter and if I got a new one, this issue would disappear?

Ollie - July 17th, 2011 at 02:19 PM

In terms of loose, do you mean when you select each gear there is still a lot of give in every direction?

SebastienPeek - July 17th, 2011 at 02:27 PM

Exactly that!

And when I say a lot, I mean a crapload!

It's like if the car was in neutral...

barls - July 17th, 2011 at 02:32 PM

your shift bush in the tunnel is the first place id be looking. not hard to replace, joel has a pic guide to doing it on here

Ollie - July 17th, 2011 at 02:46 PM

I got used to the ol' loose Gearknob with the first bug. Funnily enough when I came back to getting in a dub after a while of not having one, it felt like home :)

SebastienPeek - July 17th, 2011 at 03:09 PM

Baris, I took a look and it definitely looks like a day job from my end and with my little experience. I wonder if I bought the replacement bush and got my mechanic to do it, he'd actually do it...

Ollie, I have learnt how to drive a manual in Zelda, but have always struggled to get from third to fourth. It seems they're a lot closer and I just kept slotting the gearstick into fourth by accident.

Would purchasing a quick shift kit resolve my problem or should I definitely do this bush replacement before I even consider doing anything such as a quick shift kit?

barls - July 17th, 2011 at 04:26 PM

bush first then the quick shift

SebastienPeek - July 18th, 2011 at 07:21 PM

Alright, bush first it is then.

How dead simple is the removal of the seats? If I'm going to do it, I'll do it right.

barls - July 18th, 2011 at 07:33 PM

back seat is a piece of piss. just lifts out. the fronts done even need to come out

SebastienPeek - July 18th, 2011 at 07:54 PM

Alright, too easy then, I'll have a play on Wednesday to see what I can do!

Going to have to do something about my indicators too... But, that'll be another thread!

SebastienPeek - July 18th, 2011 at 08:42 PM

Is this what I'm going to need to replace it with?

http://www.justkampersaustralia.com/shop/gear-shift-rod-bush-j15136.html 

barls - July 18th, 2011 at 08:47 PM

that looks like the little bastard. one hint, mark the position of the gearstick before even thinking of loosening the bolts. it gives you something to line up with when putting it back together

SebastienPeek - July 18th, 2011 at 08:49 PM

I'll definitely keep that in mind, I just need to get it done, currently I got from third to first to second and then release the clutch,
it likes to go into fourth if I got from third to second :(