Board Logo

EA81 radiator size?
tweety - July 18th, 2011 at 07:54 PM

Yet another question before I embark on my conversion of my trike. I have a fair bit of room on top of the transaxle for a radiator. It would be on a 45 degree angle (top further back) and this will be clearer once the EA81 is installed (eg the dip stick and/or oil filler might be in the way). But I measured the available area and a radiator the size of 32" wide by 14" high might fit. or 11" high if vertical.

There would be plenty of vacuum behind that area I would assume and deflectors for air to be directed towards that area is a small issue easily overcome.

Does anyone know the size of the Brumby 1992 radiator if it will fit or a suitable one from another vehicle. I could order a custom.

I havent picked up my motor or its bits and peices including that radiator.

It will have its new dizzy and weber 32/36 installed. What other items would you renew while its out eg water pump?. The engine was recoed 80,000 kms ago by its mechanic owner. Would safely assume the front and rear main seals were done at that time.

helbus - July 18th, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I would do a little bit of research on Ebay looking at what 'aluminium radiator' are available new. There will be heaps of new ones available for all sorts of cars. They will state what size motor, and as long as you go for any engine size the same or bigger than the EA series engine, then you should be fine. You are pushing less weight.

The size of the radiator front flow is based on the height of available air. So if you have the radiator laid back on 45 degrees, then it wont act like a 350mm high radiator, it will behave like a 250mm high radiator. So blah blah mathematics, I would roughly get a radiator to suit a 3.0 litre engine to be safe if you are running the 45 degree angle.

You can buy any radiator you want, as the only real difference is the size and positioning of the inlet and outlets.

A custom will cost you double at least.

tweety - July 19th, 2011 at 09:27 AM

Yep went onto Ebay Helbus.

And the link TOONGA gave me on Volks swap gave me a clue- Jeep Cherokee radiator. Being only 270mm high and quite wide and thick and meant for a 6 cyl 4 litre engine it will fit nicely over the transaxle and be vertical. around $250 alloy

Another solution found!