Board Logo

What is this pressed area with hole for in luggage area
Camo - July 22nd, 2011 at 07:42 PM

Hi all,

can someone please tell me what this pressed area with the hole is for (arrow pointing at it). Its in the cargo area of a beetle and there is two, one on each side. This is obviously looking from under the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/levin4kevin/CopyofIMG_0199.jpg

Thanks, Kevin

Craig S - July 22nd, 2011 at 07:52 PM

From my own experience they are there purely to allow moisture into the luggage area and cause rust. I discovered these holes after the painful experience of removing the original sound deadening and associated glue. I then discovered the rust that was beginning to spread from them.

Unless there is a compelling reason not to, I will be welding them up.

vwjon - July 22nd, 2011 at 07:59 PM

i believe they are child seat anchor points, they should have a larger plate and a captive bolt welded on there.

Craig S - July 22nd, 2011 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vwjon
i believe they are child seat anchor points, they should have a larger plate and a captive bolt welded on there.

That would make sense, and yes there was a metal plate, about the size of a 10 cent piece covering each of them, but they weren't welded in place, and the plate was also rusted.

Camo - July 22nd, 2011 at 08:47 PM

I believe my car body is an original 61 model and would be surprised if they came out with child restraint anchor points.

But then again, I have already been wrong once this year - just ask my wife :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks, Kev

vw54 - July 23rd, 2011 at 09:43 AM

i think they are holes for carring the shell in the factory when the body shell was made

HappyDaze - July 23rd, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Kev. for more than 50 years [I worked on them when they were NEW] it has eluded me! The only thing that I can think of is that they were a part of the 'jigging' of the body sheet-metall assembly process.

Don't weld them up - it will ruin the paint job. Put a couple of 'blind' rubber grommets in, to keep the water and dust out.

Joel - July 23rd, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vw54
i think they are holes for carring the shell in the factory when the body shell was made

And we have a winner.

They aren't mounts for anything, just pressing for use on assembly line.
They have metal plugs in them and are covered over in seam sealer.

http://cache2.artprintimages.com/p/LRG/27/2704/8AFND00Z/art-print/james-whitmore-volkswagen-plant-assembly-line.jpg

Camo - July 23rd, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Thanks for the replies and letting me know what they are for. Mine never had any metal plates or similar over them when I pulled up what I think was the original lining.

Anyway, will plug them as mentioned to keep water and dirt out.

Thanks, Kev.