Board Logo

Starting/Battery woes..
AyeBee - July 23rd, 2011 at 03:09 PM

Bought a new 6v battery, installed into car - get headlights/radio/wipers/dash lights - but only a click when I try to start.

Cleaned all connections, earth point on body for earth strap, no change. Just a a click.

However, car will start and then run if I jump start it with a spare 12v battery i have here. I then drive the car around for 30mins or so, come home, try and start after shutting down - just the faint click again.

What are other things I should consider looking at to fault find?

The new battery is a Supercharge (model N03) 6V 250CCA, is this not enough?

ian.mezz - July 23rd, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Is the new battery fully charged
???starter motor or starter motor bush in gearbox worn.

Craig Torrens - July 23rd, 2011 at 10:19 PM

do you have the earth strap from the gearbox to the chassis ? Is it in good condition ?

AyeBee - July 24th, 2011 at 02:01 PM

Thanks gents, will have a look - worst case I'll take it to a auto elec.

Cheers

Lucky Phil - July 24th, 2011 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ian.mezz
Is the new battery fully charged

A new battery will only be half charged at best.
Considering the low voltage to start with, any voltage drops in the system will be more noticeable. I would give the battery a really good charging before anything else.

AyeBee - July 24th, 2011 at 03:54 PM

Thanks Phil - it's on charge as we speak, crossing fingers that's the cause.

AyeBee - July 25th, 2011 at 09:57 AM

Battery fully charged, still doesn't start. Was hoping it was as simple as that.

Time to start looking at starter/solenoid and look for this other earth strap.

Sides - July 25th, 2011 at 10:09 AM

OK, I'll be the one that asks the dumb question... it's definitely a 6V system in the car still, yeah ???

AyeBee - July 25th, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I hope, it's what the previous owner told me it was. My first VW so not really sure what Im looking at, it needed a jump start to drive it home when I bought it.

How do I check whether its 12 or 6 to make sure?

Sides - July 25th, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Ahh, right - fair enuff.

A decent pic of the engine bay we might be able to tell... if it's been obviously converted to 12V with a different generator or regulator setup for example.

Best way to be 100% is to get the engine running (jump start it if needed) and then measure the Voltage coming out of the Generator... basically get a multimeter and measure the Voltage between the main charging cable (D+) and Earth.

:tu:

btw - if it is a 12V converted car... giving it 6V I'm surprised the starter would even go click !!!

;)

AyeBee - July 25th, 2011 at 03:51 PM

Just checked, got a 6 volt coil so guessing its definetly a 6 volt system.

Thanks for everyones help, its booked into an auto electrician for tomorrow morning - will let them sort out the issue.

Sides - July 25th, 2011 at 04:12 PM

Hmm, yeah - 6V coil doesn't necessarily mean a 6V system, but no worries - your auto sparky should be able to sort it out for ya !!!

:cool:

ratty 63 - July 25th, 2011 at 04:22 PM

my money is on a worn starter and/or bush.... :yes:

R :)

AyeBee - July 25th, 2011 at 07:37 PM

Engine bay

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n537/kenzihibby/EngineBay.jpg

ratty 63 - July 25th, 2011 at 09:38 PM

yep - 6 Volt. :yes:

AyeBee - July 25th, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Ta.

AyeBee - July 26th, 2011 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ratty 63
my money is on a worn starter and/or bush.... :yes:

BINGO!! Was a worn starter.

Sides - July 26th, 2011 at 06:09 PM

Cool - good you've gotten it sorted !!!

:tu:

ratty 63 - July 27th, 2011 at 09:15 AM

Great news. :smilegrin:

AyeBee - July 27th, 2011 at 07:46 PM

Wouldn't read about it though... driving home from the auto electrician this afternoon - accelerator cable went, car had to be towed. Ah the joys!

ratty 63 - July 28th, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Should have just grabbed the spare one from under the seat and fitted it right there and then.... you do have a spare one don't you? :smilegrin:

It wouldn't be a VW if it didn't test you from time to time....

Perhaps it would be a good time to invest in a spare clutch cable... I have a spare of both accelerator and clutch cables stashed under the back seat of my '63 Bug, along with a spare set of points and a spare condenser. Haven't needed any of them yet... but that is only because I have them with me :lol: