Board Logo

t3 caravelle problem 1989 watercooled injected
mjwcookie - July 28th, 2011 at 10:03 PM

hi all. i have a t3 caravelle that i just got a roadworthy for. It had not run for a couple of years, so i did a service on it, changed oil etc checked brakes etc.

it runs very well most of the time. it has done 207,000 kms.
Recent problem has come up. when driving it sometimes looses power then can pick up again. sometimes it slows and eventually stops. it starts again without a hiccup and drives off again as if nothing wrong. might go 50 -100meters and happen again, or run perfectly for days. i have checked the fuel line and filter. i flushed it out, but will replace it with a new one. when it has lost power, pumping the throttle does not help and does make it pop and splutter. It just picks up of its own accord when it wants to. I did notice it running rough at idle today when it was happening.

What are the obvious things to look at and check. I am new to fuel injection systems.

Thanks.

Mark

vwjon - July 28th, 2011 at 10:37 PM

you say "injected" i'm guessing its water cooled as well.

check the earth strap on the motor / gearbox, it wont harm to fit another, from the motor to the body.
also check the wiring and connections to to the ECU and dizzy.
theres also the temp sender at the back of the motor in a black plastic housing.

greedy53 - July 29th, 2011 at 06:30 PM

check the filter and the pump best way is to grab a 23 lit can and get the fuel intake line turn the key on and see what comes out
good luck

mjwcookie - July 29th, 2011 at 08:28 PM

Thanks. trying it all tonight. where is the ECU hidden?
mark

MickH - July 29th, 2011 at 09:06 PM

under the back seat

mjwcookie - July 30th, 2011 at 01:11 AM

removed the tank and flushed it out. flushed out the pump and filter. Drives much better though dont know yet, if it has sorted the problem. There was about a cup of rust flakes and grit/sand and mud in the tank.
List to buy; new tank, filter, breather tube hose. Will work on the electrics tomorrow.

that tank is easy to take out when you know how. The manual does not explain well and pictures are crap.

So if anyone needs to know how to take it out. i can help.

thanks for advice.

matberry - July 30th, 2011 at 08:04 AM

2nd the electrical connections. Engine earth strap at both ends, injector earths and all connections at least pressed home.

mjwcookie - August 8th, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Still happening. Where is the temp sender at the back of the engine. what does it look like and where specifically is it located? i am at my wits end with it. it is also running hotter than it should and cant work out why. everything is doing what it should.
HELP
Mark