Board Logo

oil change in diff
mjwcookie - August 4th, 2011 at 06:22 PM

I cannot find a drain plug in the diff bottom plate. how does one drain it, or do you have to take of the plate and let it spill. The refill plug is the plug with the hex hole in it (like an enormous Allen key) on the side of the case? This would give an oil depth of a couple of inches, correct?

I assume you fill till it comes back out the filler hole?

All help gratefully received.

Mark

silver - August 4th, 2011 at 07:12 PM

should be a hex plug in the bottom of the transaxle (Gearbox /Diff) look again it might be full of muck or just fill it up I have never really seen one with dirty oil.

mackaymanx - August 4th, 2011 at 07:34 PM

If it's a kombi box it is on the bellhousing.

68AutoBug - August 4th, 2011 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mjwcookie
I cannot find a drain plug in the diff bottom plate. how does one drain it, or do you have to take of the plate and let it spill. The refill plug is the plug with the hex hole in it (like an enormous Allen key) on the side of the case? This would give an oil depth of a couple of inches, correct?

I assume you fill till it comes back out the filler hole?

All help gratefully received.

Mark

Hi Mark
THERE SHOULD BE A SIMILAR PLUG IN THE BOTTOM OF THE GEARBOX/DIFF TRANSAXLE...
i HAD TWO NUTS WELDED ONTO A BOLT to undo it...

and always take the side filler plug off first... so You know You can fill it... lol
and Yes the filler is the level... always put it in slowly as the oil has to flow into the differential section and it will back up and overflow if poured in too fast...

what sort of VW do You have????

My semi auto beetle just has a large plate to undo...
as do most automatics...

cheers

LEE

68AutoBug - August 4th, 2011 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mackaymanx
If it's a kombi box it is on the bellhousing.

that may be the answer.....

He has a 1978 Kombi

LEE

mjwcookie - August 4th, 2011 at 09:14 PM

Sorry for not giving the detail. it is an 89 caravell GL auto. i have changed the trans fluid, now working on the diff. cant find a hex bolt or recessed nut/plug on the bottom. Can only find one on the side. So would it be on the bell housing? I can look there tomorrow.
Thanks.
mark