Board Logo

Better head lights
donn - August 5th, 2011 at 01:26 PM

I have standard old light buckets on the wench (see avatar) that have the old style standard globes, is it possible to change them to the newer type bulbs (H4?) to get better light and if so where do I get them, do I need new bulb holders?. Rang Jaycar but they had no idea of what I was trying to describe. the existing bulbs just have two pins, they are in line with each other, not offset.
Thanks
Don

vlad01 - August 5th, 2011 at 04:52 PM

Narva still make H4 globes in the old P45t base. Auto electrician is probably your best bet.

Joel - August 5th, 2011 at 06:52 PM

Sounds like they still have the old 6volt style bayonet globes?

http://www.t-a-s-s.co.uk/templates/tass/images/store_images/6v_35_35_bulb.jpg

donn - August 5th, 2011 at 07:53 PM

Well the bulbs are a different shape than the pic above, sorta flat on the top and the pins are lower down on the metal base, car is 12 v so doubt that they are 6v.
Nope, just checked, 12 v twin ellement, two contact points on the base, Stanley brand, japanese, 35/35w

ian.mezz - August 5th, 2011 at 08:15 PM

car head lights are all 55/60 yoou need to change your globes.

Joel - August 5th, 2011 at 08:52 PM

Ah those are probably motorbike headlight inserts, you may have a bit of a challenge finding any bulbs letalone better ones.

Might be time to look into new halogen style headlight inserts if the buckets take them.

donn - August 6th, 2011 at 08:05 AM

One time soon you fellas are going to give me good news, can't wait till then. :lol:

1303Steve - August 6th, 2011 at 09:54 AM

Hi

Can you post a larger photo of your headlights? I cant tell if there round or square.

Steve

Joel - August 6th, 2011 at 09:57 AM

I'd be surprised if you could find those bases in halogens that are twin filament

The original asymmetrical bulbs you have look abit like this?

http://www.classychevusa.com/cartimages/prd_796.JPG

donn - August 6th, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Yeah Joel that's them, just come back from the Hella supplier here in Newie but not much luck, they are going to get in touch withGHQ Monday, here's hoping

68AutoBug - August 6th, 2011 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by donn
I have standard old light buckets on the wench (see avatar) that have the old style standard globes, is it possible to change them to the newer type bulbs (H4?) to get better light and if so where do I get them, do I need new bulb holders?. Rang Jaycar but they had no idea of what I was trying to describe. the existing bulbs just have two pins, they are in line with each other, not offset.
Thanks
Don

Yikes Donn....

motor cycle headlamp bulbs... very old at that..
japanese stanley... original equipment bulbs

35/35w

rare as....

Lee

68AutoBug - August 6th, 2011 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vlad01
Narva still make H4 globes in the old P45t base. Auto electrician is probably your best bet.

those are a lot older than the p45t bulbs Vlad...

no covers over the filiments like in USA sealed beams...

Lee

vwo60 - August 7th, 2011 at 07:04 PM

Try this site, i have purchased globes from him before.
http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/page3.html 

donn - August 7th, 2011 at 08:41 PM

Thanks heaps for that info vwo60 I have sent off an email to see what he can do for me.

Just went over the site given by vwo60, fantastic info for all sorts of things, wish I had known about it b4, it's now in my faves list. :tu::)

psimitar - August 8th, 2011 at 08:34 AM

Go online to vehicle wiring products and you'll get the P45t bulbs really cheap plus the H4 plug kit for under 7 pounds a side so just over a tenner and with a few quid postage it'll cost you far less than an Aussie supplier ;)

donn - August 8th, 2011 at 08:53 PM

Well I read here about companies not answering emails, here's one that does. I emailed clasic and vintage bulbs this morning, I have now had two replies as under, good service from an Ausie company. :tu:

Hi Don
I have both types as halogen in 6v or 12v The original type posted by Joel are the ba20d versions and the other in the pic from Classy Chev are the ba15d type

Hi Don Me aagin
Let you mates know that I have all types of VW headlight bulbs in both normal and halogen 6v and 12v. P45t, P43t, Ba20d as well as all the other 6v bulbs VW use.
Cheers
Anthony Pearson

I'll send off an email to get costs etc, looking good, of course if I go this way I'll have to get some spares, even though the ones in the headlights at the moment have been there for a bloody long time.

Thanks for your info psimitar, they sure have some gear there, another lead if this one dosn't work.

Here's the link for anyone interested in the company psimitar refers to.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php 

vwo60 - August 9th, 2011 at 01:13 PM

They will have your globes, they even had a set of helogen globes for a pair of machell spot lights from the fifties, cost was very reasonable and there is no need to change any plugs or sockets.