Board Logo

Double seals? type 3 auto
tweety - August 8th, 2011 at 06:02 PM

While waiting for my EA81 to arrive and my broken leg to heal its a good opportunity to ask some questions. Hope you can help.

I ordered two seals transaxle to torque converter (one spare). I am aware of recommendations from some in these pages that when changing the seal from the auto to the transaxle to use two seals because there is room there and they are prone to leak.

Can I use two torque converter seals?

I must say that during normal operation my auto doesnt leak much oil (touch wood) and I've today renewed the pan gasket and cleaned the filter. So am I worrying too much? or would two seals be a good move?

vw54 - August 8th, 2011 at 06:58 PM

From memory when overhauling the Autos i dont think theres room for 2 seals

If VW had wanted to seals the they would have fitted them or a double knife seal

The problem may be with the rotating surfaces

make sure its smooth and clean and free from any wear marks when over hauling the box

tweety - August 8th, 2011 at 08:59 PM

thanks VW54.

68AutoBug - August 8th, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tweety
While waiting for my EA81 to arrive and my broken leg to heal its a good opportunity to ask some questions. Hope you can help.

I ordered two seals transaxle to torque converter (one spare). I am aware of recommendations from some in these pages that when changing the seal from the auto to the transaxle to use two seals because there is room there and they are prone to leak.

Can I use two torque converter seals?

I must say that during normal operation my auto doesnt leak much oil (touch wood) and I've today renewed the pan gasket and cleaned the filter. So am I worrying too much? or would two seals be a good move?

Normally there isn't room to fit torque converter seals and I haven't heard of anyone fitting two seals

just be sure to lubricate the torque converter seal between the lips with ATF... a few drops..
this stops the initial wear of the outer lip...

same as with all oil seals..

LEE

tweety - August 9th, 2011 at 05:09 PM

thanks Lee