Board Logo

The new 'Vert !
wesdem77 - September 8th, 2013 at 01:04 PM

Hello!

The newest in the collection...

A '68 convertible Bug (I think...can't find the exact date of production from the VIN #)

I just had the seats redone, a new convertible top put on, and switched the engine to a 2100cc

I think it's turning out good!! Seamless fenders are a nice look...

wesdem77 - September 8th, 2013 at 01:05 PM

...and again...

Dazz - September 8th, 2013 at 02:08 PM

Rat style convertible?

Like the colour too

Joel - September 8th, 2013 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wesdem77
A '69 convertible Bug (I think...can't find the exact date of production from the VIN #)

It's a 68, well body is anyway.

wesdem77 - September 9th, 2013 at 07:50 AM

Yeah, Dazz, I guess it would be a rat style...

I thought this style was with no fenders, also. I love this flat color, though. Reminds me of the old hot rods.

'68?? How can you tell the difference, Joel?

Joel - September 9th, 2013 at 09:38 AM

I just know my shit ;)

It's easy, 68 was the only year 1500 with the non latching fuel door.
They went to the latched fuel door in 69 so the body doesnt have that little finger indentation after 68.

Also being in Cairns with a 2110, watch your engine temp with no decklid vents.
Even stock 1600s need them might wanna think about stand offs.

wesdem77 - September 9th, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I like that....you just know your shit! Well stated!

I learn something new everyday...didn't even realise the finger indention difference.

As for the engine temps, I was worried about that also....
The car I took it from had vent lids, but would still get a little warm.
I put an additional oil cooler on it, with a bigger sump. I did have stand-offs before, but took them off because the rain would go straight to the engine. If I didn't cover the space while it was sitting, during rain, water would get in the plugs, etc...have a hard time to start...and rust on alternator and other bits...

Any other suggestions about extra cooling?

Bizarre - September 9th, 2013 at 10:24 AM

My car lives outside 24/7 and I run dual Dells on a 1916
I also have a 4 louvre deck lid

While I am in Sydney and not tropical Cairns, we have been getting some torrential down pours lately.

2 things you can do to stop the rain is
1 - put one of the rain louvre things that attach to the deck lid. This works very well at keeping water out of the engine bay
2 - put turbo tops on your carbs. You can either run filters or hook up an air box. These work well at keeping water out, especially the air box, but they do limit air flow.

Have a look at my Members Ride post

Joel - September 9th, 2013 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wesdem77
I learn something new everyday...didn't even realise the finger indention difference.

Just to add to the confusion they dropped the cable release latched fuel door in 73 and went back to the 68 style.

the outside rain deflectors would look pretty out of place on your car but the inside ones dont usually clear twin carbs, so propping the bottom is the bet way.