Board Logo

Astro's Oval - **now with twin ignition**
56astro - October 16th, 2002 at 09:34 AM

Here are some pics I took back in July. I have since got some 5.5 x 15 wheels for the rear which gives it a bit better look.

It is also off the road and being pulled apart for the respray and transplant onto a BJ/IRS pan.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~astro/images/oval_2.jpg

[Edited on 1-11-2002 by 56astro]

[Edited on 12-6-2003 by 56astro]

[Edited on 18-9-2003 by 56astro]

[Edited on 27-6-2004 by 56astro]nn[ Edited on 8-9-2005 by 56astro ]

[ Edited on 29-3-2006 by 56astro ]

Grey 57 - October 16th, 2002 at 09:30 PM

Oval looks good. What colour are you going to respray it in?

Wish I had a shed like that. You can't even swing a cat in mine!!

56astro - October 16th, 2002 at 09:40 PM

I was tossing up a few different colours (no, not all together) including a limited edition falcon brown, holden "tungsten".

However, me and the panel beater/spray painter have settled on a 2-tone scheme using "gunyah grey" and a really clean white. A fella had the same job done on a '67 a few years back (Brendan Leyshon was his name I think). We've decided on those colours cause the car was originally gunyah grey with a type of white stripe down each side.

The shed is beginning to get smaller and smaller as the guards, bumpers, wheels, etc are all coming off at the moment. Probably have to find somewhere else for all the kids toys!

Grey 57 - October 16th, 2002 at 10:16 PM

Thats why you were asking about the Gunyah Grey. Iv'e never heard of that colour before. Grey and white sounds like a good combo.

Thats the problem with Big Kids Toys they always take up heaps of room!!:thumb

VWFOOL - October 16th, 2002 at 10:51 PM

hey astro,
nice oval. my oval is also BJ/IRS but using my original 56 pan.
what condition is ur pan in, is it stock? wide 5 brakes? what are u doing with it after you hav taken off the shell?
let me know thanks

good luck with the paint, sounds like a nice combination:thumb

sam

56astro - October 17th, 2002 at 06:58 AM

The new pan is a 1970 semi auto pan that was previously converted. I got stung a bit when I bought it, I was desperate to get one though.

Std 4 stud, discs (f) and T3 wgn drums (r). I have a VW mechanic near home here who is going to do the brake work for me. He is using T2 calipers on the discs, not sure of the full details, all in his capable hands.

New half pans have been welded on, and if all the holes line up it will be straight off to the panel shop. I will be POR-15'ing the pan and suspension stuff myself.

The main headache I think will be getting all the new gromets, window rubbers, etc.

The old pan and all other parts I won't be wanting will be for sale:
camber compensator
floor pan
wide 5 wheels
4.5 x 15 4 stud wheels
etc
etc

[Edited on 16-10-2002 by 56astro]

bugboymatt - October 17th, 2002 at 06:26 PM

I just got myself an oval. Just pulled it all to bits. Unsure to keep original floorpan or substitute it for a later one with irs and ball joint front !!!

Gonna need some body panels and heater channels for mine. You recommend anywhere for them ???

Looks great. Mine I think will be black when I finish it. Got to leave it for now off back to the UK for a couple of months them full into resto when return !!!

56astro - October 17th, 2002 at 07:12 PM

Sorry Matt, not sure of anywhere locally, but I have a good catalogue from VW Heritage Parts Centre http://www.vwheritage.com 
Email them and ask them for a catalogue.
Keep looking for a later pan, but don't be too desperate!

56astro - November 1st, 2002 at 10:39 PM

Added the latest pics at the top.

Doors are off and all windows are out. Hood lining is about to be removed along with all the other trimmings.

Found a good site for repairs at http://www.thebugshop.org 

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~astro/images/weboval2.jpg

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~astro/images/weboval3.jpg

[Edited on 27-6-2004 by 56astro]

Grey 57 - November 3rd, 2002 at 06:17 PM

The Bug Shops a great site, spent a couple of hours going thru it yesterday.

bugboymatt - November 3rd, 2002 at 09:42 PM

Pics look good mate.
Kinda makes me wanna rush back to Oz and get on with my Oval !!!

Mine is stripped out !
No windoes, headlining removed.
Unbolted from chassis, engine removed.
All old wiring removed as going to replace it all with a new loom.
Need to do the heater channels then ready for putting onto a new floor pan.
So I'm going to be busy when get back just before chrissy !!

Ya can guess what's on my Chrissy list !!!

56astro - November 4th, 2002 at 07:39 PM

Probably the same things as on my wish list:

sway bars, new bushes all round, new tie rod ends, new ball joints, extra camber adjusters, caster shims, new rubbers all round, a day at the auto sparkies, several days at the auto upolsterer, blah, blah

I've had the doors apart and realised I can move the locking handle to the drivers side, and even going to attempt to do my own door trims.

Really looking forward to putting things back together.

OvalGlen - March 15th, 2003 at 09:38 PM

Hows the progress Steve ?
Love those pics,
I kept mine on standard floor pan because it was in so Good condition.
You'll leave me on the corners though.

56astro - March 16th, 2003 at 10:32 AM

Back to the top again, wow!

Supposed to be working on the car today, but instead I'm at work. Can't complain too much (on overtime).

Hopefully tomorrow the body & guards & some other stuff will be off to the panel beaters.

Got myself a camera (just for the re-build) so heaps of photos will appear here soon.

Also sorted out a few concerns with the engineer.

56astro - March 16th, 2003 at 11:03 AM

Stock, lowered but not extreme.

Hardly any exterior add-ons.

Interior will all be new (got a CD/MP3 player couple of weeks ago - $399)

VWFOOL - March 17th, 2003 at 01:02 AM

hey steve
is your old pan 5 stud? how does a oval with original suspension handle?
wat condition was ur original pan in?
was removing body from pan and replacing much work? wats involved?
thanks
sam

[Edited on 16-3-2003 by VWFOOL]

56astro - March 17th, 2003 at 12:05 PM

G'day Sam

The old pan was a 5 stud one, original setup when I inherited the car, but the new pan is a 4 stud setup. I still have all the old 5 stud wheels with el cheapo tyres if you're after some (4.5" x 15";).

The old pan is not much chop, there's a fair bit of rust in one half pan and the frame head was welded on crooked after one of my earlier smashes. That's why I was scrubbing front right tyre on guard. It's not much good for anything as I have stripped nearly everything off it that I can use.

The body came off really easily. Took about a day in total to drop engine and pull all the wiring and cables out, glass out, doors off, all the bolts around the pan seal and hey presto.

Replacing it is another story. I had new half pans welded in to my BJ/IRS pan so not all holes lined up exactly. One threaded plate in the front of the body came loose so I haven't been able to bolt that section up yet. Before the body goes to the spray painter I made sure everything lines up. There are gaps around the pan seal area but when all the bolts are in the body and the pan pull together nicely.

And the bit about the handling;
she wasn't standard Oval setup, so wasn't too bad. With the dropped stub axles up front and the rear lowered to match it certainly improved it. Also had a camber compensator on the rear and that made a big difference. No hints of that dreadful over steer that swingers are reknowned for.

[Edited on 18-3-2003 by 56astro]

kombi_kid - March 18th, 2003 at 08:22 PM

man of money arnt ya them new ball joints and stuff are gonna cost abit!!!! just got 2 new b/j done for my kombi and it cost my 200!!!!
hows the progress??? ever need a hand just give us a call even though im always bloody working!!! (bloody woolies dont expect me too have a life but hey who's complaining it goes to my vw's!!)
cheers
rhys
p.s. ill undo that rear wheel nut one day ;)

56astro - March 18th, 2003 at 09:00 PM

Thanks for the offer Rhys

The body is finally at the panel shop, the shell went yesterday and almost everything else went today.

I took some photos of her sitting on the box trailer, and the (panel beater) spray painter said he'd let me know when it was ready for more photos.

He was really surprised by the condition of all the guards and bonet etc. Really straight.

Back at home I put the T3 torsion bars in and put in the gearbox and engine. Thinking I should drive it around like that (Wes did!!). Mainly just to check the clutch and throttle cable situation after fiddling with the pedal assembly.

kombi_kid - March 19th, 2003 at 02:29 PM

hey
thats sweet!!!!! who you getting to do all your front end work ie b/j tie rods etc??
cheers
rhys

56astro - March 19th, 2003 at 02:58 PM

Almost everything will be through Pete Richards. He does good deals for Hastings VW club members.

As for the actual work - hopefully I'll be able to do most of it, anything too difficult will be left to Pete.

56astro - June 11th, 2003 at 07:29 PM

Here are some progress shots

56astro - June 11th, 2003 at 07:30 PM

and

56astro - June 11th, 2003 at 07:31 PM

and now at the shop!

56astro - June 11th, 2003 at 07:32 PM

and

moonlite6t6beetle - June 11th, 2003 at 08:05 PM

A truly Sensational oval, just curoius if it has allreaddy been resprayed, if it will be re-sprayed and what clolour it will be?

moonlite6t6beetle - June 11th, 2003 at 08:05 PM

A truly Sensational oval, just curoius if it has allreaddy been resprayed, if it will be re-sprayed and what clolour it will be?

56astro - June 11th, 2003 at 10:05 PM

Nah, not yet.

Should be in a week or so. Still working on the new seat belt anchors, smoothing over the dash for new gauges, and a few other things.

The colour: Gunyah Grey over the top and a clean white between the guards. The grey was an Aussie dulux colour that Dave Birchall got the formula for. That was my dads original colour when he had the car.

More pics when she's closer to being finished. Not by Valla though, bugger.

56astro - June 26th, 2003 at 04:24 PM

Here's the latest ...

56astro - June 26th, 2003 at 04:26 PM

With a new dash ....