Board Logo

My Beetle Project
lulu94 - March 9th, 2004 at 08:26 PM

Hey people, this is my 1970 beetle which Ryan (Rota_Motor) and myself are fixing up.

sounded alot better than it is when we bought it but usual story do one thing and we find something else wrong. But its coming along, mainly cosmetic stuff to fix up now.

So far we have replaced the exhaust system and we are working on the brakes atm.

we plan on putting in a few more guages, redoing the interior. Repainting it and making it alot faster :D

Probably will take a few years to get everything done but it will be drivable soon

Danielle

helbus - March 9th, 2004 at 08:41 PM

Awwww.

That looks almost exactly like our beetle did.

Looks like you have got a pretty solid looking unit to start with. Any rust?

It is good to see you beetle posted here. As you make changes you can post to keep us up to date with what is going on.

We started with a set of tyres and brakes just to make it safer and ended up doing a full respray.

He He. it does get away from you.

Check out the pics at this thread

http://www.aussieveedubbers.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=17341 

Seeya soon

Dasdubber - March 9th, 2004 at 08:46 PM

Good work Danielle, keep it up, you'll get there eventually! :thumb

lulu94 - March 9th, 2004 at 08:55 PM

Helbus the is hardly any rust at all.

we need to get a new bonnett as that is rusting off the brackets, but apart from a lil bit in the gutters and i few tiny spots on the bottom of a few of the panels its pretty solid.

the plates say it was built in 4/70 and it should be antartic white. we want to paint it white again and we were thinking of putting pearl flames on the nose, we will see.
Danielle

helbus - March 9th, 2004 at 08:58 PM

That's amazing ours is 4/70 also.

They are almost twins :)

Same colour originally as well :)

It looks as though yours is a 1500 with disc brake front. ours is a baby 1300 with front drums.

Go the flames, you will love it. No two cars look the same with flames.

lulu94 - March 9th, 2004 at 09:09 PM

thats what we thought about the flames as well, i want my car to look different but subtle.

May be asking for tips along the line helbus hope you dont mind ;)

Danielle

*did* - March 13th, 2004 at 08:51 PM

When we all get our bugs on the road you and your man, me and my missus and helbus and his missus should rendevous for a weekend in port fairy or something.

lulu94 - March 14th, 2004 at 04:44 PM

sounds like a plan steve.
lets see how it all works out ok. :D

Danielle

lulu94 - October 4th, 2004 at 10:33 PM

hey guys n gals, Ryan here :)
again, guilty of being too lazy to log on as me.

anyways, a couple updates, since last posted, we have had another bonnet, another set of guards, and a few other bits and pieces personally delivered by Steve and his mate ;) talk about service :)

and other improvements, which would be all of them we have done.
1) gone over the brakes, which included
*rebuilt front brake callipers and installed new pads
*adjusted the handbrake and rear drums so the handbrake now works
*painted front calipers and rear drums red
*bled the brake system
2) interior revamp, which included
*new black carpet (about the only thing done last time we posted)
*new black brazilian doortrims front and rear
*back seats that actually fit
3) engine bay
*new fuel hose and clamps from fuel tank to carb
*fitted the new exhaust
*light tune of the carb (idle mixture and speed, auto choke etc.)

and today, we purchased a cheap electric oil pressure guage, and wired it all up, but still not mounted properly, this will come in the next round of work, which will be.

interior - fit tacho and possibly oil temp guages, fit correct steering wheel after we restore it, possible retrim of seats and roof lining.

exterior - cut out the slight rust, and paint, also fit the best set of guards out of the two sets we have, possibly remove bumpers, and relocate front indicators and finally, polish the wheels

driveline - I am still planning, but involves twin port heads, type 3 twin carbs, fitted to the current short block, then try to figure out what the noise from the gearbox is, tighten up the gearshift, and replace some worn front end components.

what started out as a throw it together and get it running project, is now starting to get out of hand.