Board Logo

My R/Buggy update
Desert Moose - June 10th, 2004 at 12:59 AM

The car has come along way since this photo. Its a week old but I will update with better and more recent pic's as soon as my web page is fixed

Desert Moose - June 10th, 2004 at 01:13 AM

Yes I know I used photshop but only on the old sponsors

seagull - June 10th, 2004 at 01:56 AM

Chris can you please take a photo of your buggy for me ,Yes O good

Now what I would like you to do is walk from the front of your buggy straight out about 20 meters ok your there . Then turn around and take a photo thats right just like that yep thats just fine mate !

Why (!!) you ask I hear . I am just thinking what you going too look like in my rear veiw mirror ! hee hee :vader

Desert Moose - June 10th, 2004 at 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by seagull
Chris can you please take a photo of your buggy for me ,Yes O good

Now what I would like you to do is walk from the front of your buggy straight out about 20 meters ok your there . Then turn around and take a photo thats right just like that yep thats just fine mate !

Why (!!) you ask I hear . I am just thinking what you going too look like in my rear veiw mirror ! hee hee :vader

Mate get a race car then we will see who is in who's dust ..lol
:vader
Ps I've got the shot for you .........LOL

[Edited on 9-6-2004 by Desert Moose]

5PL1TDCS10N - June 11th, 2004 at 12:45 AM

You both obviously have'nt seen me on my BMX?!...heehee:P

Jamox - June 11th, 2004 at 09:41 PM

What ever happened to slow and steady?? Does that mean I am going to lose? I specifically went and bought a slow baja on the basis of that bloody Tortoise and the Hare story. You can't beleive the media; I tell you. :(

Desert Moose - June 23rd, 2004 at 05:19 PM

Rear Down............
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v252/Moose906/9.jpg 

Desert Moose - June 23rd, 2004 at 05:20 PM

and up...........
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v252/Moose906/7f701c95.jpg 

Desert Moose - June 23rd, 2004 at 05:24 PM

And this is ride height.....
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v252/Moose906/036c0eff.jpg 

Desert Moose - June 24th, 2004 at 02:31 AM

From the rear
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v252/Moose906/4.jpg 

seagull - June 25th, 2004 at 01:23 AM

looking good chris

seagull - July 17th, 2004 at 11:45 PM

will it realy do 150km/h chris ? hee hee

Desert Moose - July 17th, 2004 at 11:58 PM

200km/h on paper so hopefully

My old one 10 years ago did so I hope after all the money thats gone into this it better or it will become a dune buggy lol :duh

seagull - July 18th, 2004 at 12:03 AM

I was thinking the same mate , or you would not stand a chance out there .

any fed back on the fink who cam first , and the guys we know ta.

did you see the raly car crash on the box mate ! man that was a BIG one , all ok

I can only say all you need is $

Desert Moose - July 18th, 2004 at 12:21 AM

Have a look at this site.
http://www.finkedesertrace.com.au/reports/overallcar/rptOverallCarResultsByPo...

Quinn/Hood 4th class & 4th outright
Robinson 5th class & 5th outright
Graydon 12th class & 28 outright
Smith 1st class & 29th outright
French DNF hit tv camera man..........lol (he is Ok) :thumb

seagull - July 18th, 2004 at 12:36 AM

yes those buggers do get in the way ! thank you for the link chris

Desert Moose - July 18th, 2004 at 12:43 AM

BTW Quinn had a flat tyre (or sould I say tire) 5min form the end and Hoody had to change it.......lol. He was in front when this happend, thats off road.

11CAB - July 18th, 2004 at 08:46 AM

Just curious, but this would be a class 9 right? how will it go against the likes of turboed 3.5L etc??

seagull - July 18th, 2004 at 11:53 AM

Chris , you would just keep going *uck the wheel !

seagull - July 18th, 2004 at 11:54 AM

I recall the mad power the car had but three or was it 4 motors to get it right !

Desert Moose - July 18th, 2004 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 11CAB
Just curious, but this would be a class 9 right? how will it go against the likes of turboed 3.5L etc??

Well, within cams you can't run that motor any way only 3.2turbo Because of the 6lt rule. But it’s a power to weight thing (I hope). To give you an idea of what I have done I have taken a 3.2 Honda v6 out. It had 195kw of gearbox snapping power but the motor was 138kg then you had the radiator (30kg) water (10kg) and so on.
If you look at black track racing the difference between a 4lt and a 2lt is only about 'what 1 to 10 sec roughly. This is a big difference in road racing but in off Road you slow down more because the suspension can’t take it. So if I can make the car lighter its easier to suspend plus it makes less kinetic energy in the rough stuff and I will be able to go faster though it. Thus making to the total lap times better. It’s all about being there at the end of a race, not how fast you go.
This is something for you to try your self. Get on a highway with a friend in a seconded car get them to do 80km/h the hole time, you do 110km/h and do this over about 2km and both start at the same time. But you come to a complete stop after 1km then get back to 110km as quick as you can
And see who is the fastest (not the quickest).:P:thumb

P.s- The 1916cc still puts out a good amount of horsepower anyway.:duh

[Edited on 18-7-2004 by Desert Moose]

BiX - July 18th, 2004 at 09:31 PM

just been having a look from the rear. and how do the drive shafts connect, it looks like you have moved the whole drive train foward. do the drive shafts come back at a pretty sharp angle to make the hubs?

i understand that by moving the gb out put foward while keeping the hub the same will allow the shafts to have more motion, eg that they extended length and compressed length of the drive shaft can be smaller for a given amount of travel. so i think i understand the concept, but trying to work out ur execution?

[Edited on 18-7-2004 by BiX]

11CAB - July 18th, 2004 at 09:47 PM

I understand that, but it seems the top running cars have got up to 600hp now thanks to Sierra Cosworth engines , turbo honda v6's etc....not really in the same league as a 1916 vw motor. I also understand lightening etc, but you get to a point when the light cars cant handle the same punishment the heavier cars can take...I believe the top cars were clocked at 260km/h at Finke and averaging something like 220km/h.....bloody fast if you ask me....

Desert Moose - July 18th, 2004 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BiX
just been having a look from the rear. and how do the drive shafts connect, it looks like you have moved the whole drive train foward. do the drive shafts come back at a pretty sharp angle to make the hubs?

i understand that by moving the gb out put foward while keeping the hub the same will allow the shafts to have more motion, eg that they extended length and compressed length of the drive shaft can be smaller for a given amount of travel. so i think i understand the concept, but trying to work out ur execution?

[Edited on 18-7-2004 by BiX]

The gearbox is in the standard spot (but is lifted) it’s the arms that are 6” longer along with the fact that each arm is also 6" wider then standard. This is done to make the axles longer (650mm) plus to keep the weight of the motor as far forward as I can to the back wheel. Yes it is a pretty sharp angle to make the stubs but I’m limited to 28deg of the highly modified 934 CV’s so making the axles longer helps:thumb

Desert Moose - July 18th, 2004 at 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 11CAB
I understand that, but it seems the top running cars have got up to 600hp now thanks to Sierra Cosworth engines , turbo honda v6's etc....not really in the same league as a 1916 vw motor. I also understand lightening etc, but you get to a point when the light cars cant handle the same punishment the heavier cars can take...I believe the top cars were clocked at 260km/h at Finke and averaging something like 220km/h.....bloody fast if you ask me....

I totally agree with you on this but it because VW motors are so costly that not many people can run them. The Honda I had you can buy from anyone for less then $2000 then $1000 to fit it, yet the VW has cost me over $7000 to put it back in.
Have a look at what’s run in the States buy people that still pay to race not highly sponsored teams and you will see most are running VW stuff still. Ok yes they have classes that make you run then but look past that.
One more thing to think about is the fact that because I have saved the weight I only need to run one shock on the rear. If you know about valving shocks and spring rates this is a big help. Plus each rear shock is about $950 with two springs at $150ea

As for the Fink have a look at the number of cars that entered (over 90) then who finished (38).
Oh and did I say I like to be different and I like Vdub’s, and anyone that’s the best in anything didn’t get there by doing the same thing as everybody else.
Regard’s Moose