Board Logo

my ragtops fuel injected donk
ragtopp - June 6th, 2006 at 08:45 PM

Just got the motor back, had it on the dyno last Thursday and its so smooth. Its a Pobjoy 1916cc that i just had to have some more from, so off went the carbs and on went the Haltech fuel injection and merged ceramic exhaust, being balanced it revs real nice and response is unreal. The injection is fed through a Subaru throttle body and into 1600 twin port manifolds with 2 litre kombi injectors and fuel pump. Cant wait to get it in the Rag!!
Got a full flow oil pump and competition cooler with thermo fans to fit along with the empi laser cut pulley, not to mention the big arse stinger to push all that gas out!!!:thumb

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/T2pickup/IMG_1065.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/T2pickup/IMG_1063.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/T2pickup/IMG_1062.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/T2pickup/IMG_1061.jpg[IMG]

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i320/T2pickup/IMG_1060.jpg[/IMG] 

ragtopp - June 6th, 2006 at 08:48 PM

Forgot to mention the 010 dizzy that my mate restored for me, now got to strip it to get it all powder coated.

PrettyBlueBug - June 6th, 2006 at 08:49 PM

:bounce

56astro - June 6th, 2006 at 09:04 PM

Would love to hear some more details about this one.

The induction system you have seems a little restricted compared to the exhaust. Does it rev to the same peak as before?

Any other details?

ragtopp - June 6th, 2006 at 09:57 PM

Revs to the same as before but got a fuel cut off at 5500rpm to stop any motor damage, thats the stated red line of the motor. The stinger is on the bak burner due to the lack of back pressure, it will probably end up being a glass pak exhaust. The max hp figures will have to be done when the oil coolers and fan set up is done in car later, it was running hot as fairly quickley on the dyno under full load. There wasnt enough fan cooling to keep oil temp down due to it being staionary and no external fans around. The intakes have been modified to suit the fuel injection, the air cleaner will be a hi flow style, it revs so smooth, the injectors have located fairly high on the manifolds to make installation in the car possible without to many dramas, they would have been more effective lower but i can live with that. The rear valance is removable to make install as easy as, the cluth is a copper 4 puc job and the pressure plate is the double spring type.

VWCOOL - June 6th, 2006 at 10:05 PM

Nah dude, I think you'll find that five-five is where max power is. Six-two is where your rev limiter should be! ;)

Nice work - I have similar plans for mine

[ Edited on 6-6-2006 by VWCOOL ]

Dasdubber - June 6th, 2006 at 10:13 PM

nice work ragtopp - looks good! Nice bit of ingenuity you've achieved.

ragtopp - June 6th, 2006 at 10:15 PM

thanks, i can set that fairly easy only a soft ware setting will sort that out when the motor is in the car, it used to go real well with the old carbs, but this sounds a fair bit better already. Manifolds was the biggest bit, getting the injectors welded in, thats why we have gone for that type of manifold. We had to ustom build the section onto the throttle body. The old carbs used to starve for fuel in the higher revs.

jo_tas - June 6th, 2006 at 10:30 PM

So how is the turbo going to fit? :P

Looks really cool... but are you still running a generator?

[ Edited on 6-6-2006 by jo_tas ]

VWFOOL - June 7th, 2006 at 01:07 AM

looks like a weapon, nice

62deluxe - June 7th, 2006 at 01:32 AM

Sweet bud.
Good to see a bit of old skool on there too (010)!!!
Can't wait for a ride;)

vsleepy - June 7th, 2006 at 01:50 AM

I don't think fuel cut off is the way to set max revs. You don't want it leaning out at high revs=burnt valves. with the haltec you can just set a rev limit which simply drops ignition.

Turbo54 - June 7th, 2006 at 09:28 AM

How have you setup the trigger, is it on the dizzy? What Haltech E6X? I heard that running it off the dizzt isn't the best way as they have so much play in them you can never set them up perfect, just around about right. Better to run it of the crank pully or better and run it off the flywheel like I am going to do.
T54

pete wood - June 7th, 2006 at 10:30 AM

that's great! what are the injectors and injector mounts off? Is it fuel only, or fuel and ignition?

I've been trying to convince my bro that this is way to go for his splitty motor. The step up to a little turbo is so easy once it's injected.

ragtopp - June 7th, 2006 at 10:31 PM

Jo i am running a genny, i dont predict to many electrical things to chew up the amps, if you understand the genny its not that bad.

62deluxe thanks for the 010 man that is some prezzy, it works a treat, i cant wait to cruise in it either.Those caps a real hard to find.

vsleepy, you are right mate i have a rev limiter not a fuel cut off as stated , my mistake, your right it is the better way. Dont want any high rev blow ups.

turbo54 the haltech is an F9. It is fired from the dizzy, i am using an 010, hard to beat one of those for a dizzy. Like you say a crank angle sensor as they do in newer cars is the best way, flywheel will be a bit tricky mate, be interested how that goes.

Pete wood the injectors are 2 litre Kombi jobs, for easy replacment should they be needed, the mounts are custom on to standard twin port manifolds, thats the tricky bit, a lower spot would have ment more power but a pain to get in the car and work on.

The whole thing came about when researching the bigger carbs better heads thing, this was cheaper by far and im hoping a better outcome. All im after is a tough street car, a rag that looks cool but goes fairly hard.

If anyone has a cap for an 010 i would be interested please, mine has a little crack in it, the best i could find.

62deluxe - June 7th, 2006 at 11:32 PM

Two caps would be better!!!

Turbo54 - June 8th, 2006 at 09:35 AM

Let us know how it goes, will be a lot smoother than big carbs!
T54

ragtopp - June 8th, 2006 at 08:37 PM

OK make that two 010 dizzy caps if anyone got any please. I know im asking a tall order.

56astro - October 17th, 2006 at 12:01 PM

Updates please Ragtopp

whatnow - October 17th, 2006 at 03:11 PM

for your 010 caps try here: http://www.glenn-ring.com/