Board Logo

Our 91 Caravelle - 1 year on - how good has it been?
crewcabconnection - October 12th, 2006 at 10:37 PM

In case anyone else is thinking, as I was a year or so ago about buying a Waterpumping T3.

We bought a 91 GL, with all the goodies, ducted air etc., from a guy at Boris' picnic about a year ago. Initially, I was a bit iffy about buying one, as reports were that they are a potential money pit, so here's the one year report.

We paid top money for it, as it's got all the right spec and is in supurb condition all round, with everything working and looking great.

We've covered about 25,000 ks, including a trip from Sydney to Harvey Bay and another trip down to Tassie to do some touring last Xmas. Apart from that it's a daily kid shuttle.

Costs

Replaced the battery with a proper Euro height one as it was too tall and potential electrical fire. Supercheap battery about $120.00

Had a full service at non VW mechanic, cost $270.00 and a minor service at VW mechanics for $160.00.

Replaced the brake pads when we got it and had the brakes overhauled (safety), cost about $200.00. Brakes were crap at the time of purchase.

Had the air con fully serviced, new gas (man they use a lot of gas) and fixed minor leak - $260.00.

Blew the water hoses off for no good reason dumped the H20 and needed flushing and re-fitting with new seals $90.00.

Replaced all 4 CVs (Auto) and repacking $220.00

It's now got about 200,000 ks on it. Had the one break-down with the water hoses, the rest is just maintaining it I guess.

I don't reckon that is too bad. Working out at about 15% of the purchase price in maintaining it in 12 months. Given that the other idea was to buy a T4 at the time for approx $20k, I reckon that the T3 has been a great buy, and certainly not dumping money as the T4 might have done in the same period.

Plus sides of ownership.

Smooth ride, bags of room inside and plenty of boot space. Rock solid build quality and very comfortable on long trips.
Makes you cruise everywhere and enjoy the trip
Arrive at your destination without feeling knackered
Simple to get the kids in and out in car parks
High driving position
Flexible seating and full seat space.
Mid range and top end crusing speed.
Power steering is fantastic for parking and tight space.

Down sides

Off the mark get up and go is sloooow with the auto box.
Air con sucks power and fuel in summer heat, so fuel economy is very ordinary, especially if you attempt to push it along too hard.
Time lost in dreaming about EJ22 conversions.

Anyway, figured I'd post a 1 year report, might help someone out whos thinking about a T3 as a viable low cost family mover. Once you get your head round the fact a T3 Auto is a cruiser, not a racer, chill out etc., then they have the build quality, space and comfort that a family needs.

Would I buy it if I had my time over - for sure, and on refection, happy that I held out to pay top money for it, as it looks and drives great.

byronbus - October 12th, 2006 at 11:56 PM

Any pics deano?

waltermitty - October 14th, 2006 at 07:48 PM

Six months into my twincab T3 and nothing but smiles, its also an auto and great to cruise in great on the highway two trips to the snow two up to Byron one to valla smooth stable relaxed driving a great vehicle so much storage no regrets, somewhat heavy on juice. would like a six cylinder subie conversion or a 1.9 TDI but im dreaming anyhow petrols still cheaper than beer so I have other things to worry about.
Mitchell

Bizarre - October 15th, 2006 at 06:03 PM

great stuff

Have just traded the T3 air cooled for water.

Am enjoying the smoothness of it all. Was VARY happy with the 82 air cooled. Now have a 90 wet cooled

VWCOOL - October 15th, 2006 at 08:11 PM

Good report, I often thought one of those would make a great 'daily' car instead of a Commodore or whatever; your experience backs that up

Volksaddict - October 15th, 2006 at 09:00 PM

Love my 90 Twinny ...did about 25000kms last year...hassle free ..just regular servicing..cant beat that efi and 5th gear
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/Volkaddiction/Twinny.jpg

crewcabconnection - October 15th, 2006 at 09:28 PM

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/crewcabconnection/t3_tas.jpg

who needs a 4 wheel drive?, the T3 stormed all over Tassie with no problems at all.

CAFFINEPUSHERMAN - October 18th, 2006 at 11:09 AM

i think they look good with some cusstomising