Board Logo

dodgy 12v conversion
vickie - January 6th, 2007 at 08:11 AM

This is the state of the engine when we bought my bug 18months ago, interesting modification huh!!!!

kroozzn63 - January 6th, 2007 at 08:19 AM

does it work?

Joel - January 6th, 2007 at 08:21 AM

theres still a few bugs gettting around here like that
all they do is pull the brushes out of the old genny
so it just drives the fan
try seeing how many dopey ppl u can convince its a supercharger or an a/c compressor

-Joel

aussiebaja - January 6th, 2007 at 08:41 AM

whats wrong with doin it that way ,only difference i would of done is to put a double pully on the old genny and ran 2 belts,saves pullin half the car apart to change the old one and it would be easier to replace the new one ,im gonna do that on my baja

bond - January 6th, 2007 at 09:13 AM

there was a guy called danny that used to have a vw shop at the alderley round about up here in brisbane who would do these mods....

vickie - January 6th, 2007 at 09:23 AM

probably did mine then as this bug is brisbane based!

Joel - January 6th, 2007 at 09:59 AM

i'd say so look at the almost identical mounting methods

68AutoBug - January 6th, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Dual pulley and two belts would have been the way to go as there isn't much belt going round the old generator which happens to be the most important part...
cooling the engine....
if the belt slips there..... i You could do an engine.....

if You only wanted to use one belt, a belt tensioner should have been used....
to clamp more of the belt around the fan pulley....
on some VW industrial engines, they don;t have a generator, its just a pulley at one end and a fan at the other....

Lee

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug 

vickie - January 6th, 2007 at 10:30 AM

we have converted the engine back to original, because she'd get so hot driving in the hills around Brissy during the summer.

She gets reunited with her engine in a few weeks and hopefully she'll run a lot cooler!

whatnow - January 6th, 2007 at 10:37 PM

i've seen that mod on a few cars and the 2 pictured are by far the nicest coversions i've seen... still, not how i'd do it.

Joel - January 6th, 2007 at 11:06 PM

worst one ive seen was one around here had an alternator mounted ontop of the genny next to the air cleaner
it had a metal box grafted on the decklid next to the number plate light for clearance (mad max looking mod...) and also the belt was barely touching the genny pulley on either side so would have slipped alot