Board Logo

Judson Has Arrived!
chickenfillet - November 23rd, 2007 at 04:35 PM

Hi Guys,

I bought a Judson from the US a while ago and it just arrived, one bit of advice, if ordering parts from US make sure the seller marks the value as under $1000 INCLUDING shipping, I just went over and had to pay gst + processing fee. Fun.

Here are a few pics...

http://kevinotooledesign.com/images/arrived.jpg http://kevinotooledesign.com/images/judson.jpg
http://kevinotooledesign.com/images/inside.jpg

And the inside, I'm not so happy now, needs vanes, bearings, seals and possibly needs the rotor to be machined to make the slots square.
http://kevinotooledesign.com/images/inside2.jpg

Not too bad I guess and better than running it without knowing! I'll do the measure up over the weekend and try and fit it under the lid of the ghia without cutting.

Kev

The Bigfella - November 23rd, 2007 at 04:38 PM

Shhh - don't suggest people be naughty - but by all means point out the breakpoint

Turbo54 - November 23rd, 2007 at 04:41 PM

crazy monkey pictures on the wall!!!
T54

The Bigfella - November 23rd, 2007 at 04:49 PM

Shhhh - he's a George Bush fan

boristherat - November 23rd, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Oh dear....I dream of Judson!
Will watch your progress with interest!

vw54 - November 24th, 2007 at 06:38 AM

whats the writing on the oil bottle say ???

chickenfillet - November 24th, 2007 at 10:39 AM

The bottle writing says "mason' which is an american bottle company for pickles, mayos etc. I'll keep an eye out for an original one in the meantime.

If anyone is interested I'll take a few pics of the rebuild and fitting, this is where I'm trying to squeeze it in without cutting the decklid.

If anyone knows where I can find/have made a slimline airfilter or carb top, I only have around 25mm from the top of the carb to the bottom of the drip tray of the decklid.

Cheers,
Kevin

BUGBOY - November 26th, 2007 at 08:01 PM

I'd look at machining you rotor.
Best to contact George as he can supply you vanes etc.
I think any judson these days would need to have this sort of work done.

chickenfillet - November 27th, 2007 at 01:54 PM

I've been talking to George and he told me the rotor is within reasonable tolerances, just needs bearings, blades etc which was a relief. He is quite busy doing rebuilds and couldn't get onto it for a year so I have ordered the new parts and hope to get them before Christmas so I can do the rebuild over the break.

I've gone for a slightly overdriven main pulley, 6" compared to the standard 5.4", this is only just under 9% but will hopefully match the 1500 more closely. George is also machining a belt tensioner for me to help with any belt slipping.

I'm planning to strip the Judson completely this weekend and knock the bearings out. Pics to come.

Kev

BUGBOY - November 27th, 2007 at 04:33 PM

Thats good news!
I'm about to rebuild a spare blower should something go wrong with the other I'm not going to be out of action.

chickenfillet - January 8th, 2008 at 04:07 PM

The parts for the Judson arrived today from George Folchi in the US. The main pulley has a slight overdrive to match the 1500 and the smaller pulley is a belt tensioner. This didn't come on the 40hp Judson but makes adjusting the tension much easier.

Work is a bit quiet until next week so I will try and get a start on the rebuild tomorrow.

Kev

vw54 - January 8th, 2008 at 06:53 PM

good to see SKF bearings

2443TT - January 8th, 2008 at 11:04 PM

I wonder if its worth looking at updating the supercharger a little using some more modern concepts like internal coatings.

If competition coatings could coat the inside of the supercharger housing with teflon, you might then be able to run castor oil to lubricate it. From what i've read its the least combustable and will have the least effect on lowering the effectiive octane rating/causing detonation, compared to the normal oil that was used with them which i've heard does limit their true potential.

vw54 - January 9th, 2008 at 06:06 AM

I dont think the Teflon coating would be an advantage as the vanes / blades need to bed into the internal wall of the housing to make them work efficiently and together with the oil make a near complete seal when overhauling a housing is advisable to have it honed out similar to a engine piston and barrel set up

the teflon would reduce the friction of this function and maybe not make a seal

Mine has run great for years no probs

The normal oil is a straight 10 grade which does 3 things

lubricates the vanes / blade in the rotor slot
acts as a seal with the vane to the housing wall
acts as a upper cylinder lubricate

I use ATF fluid which is also a 10 grade fluid
it burns with a sllight white smoke Its cheap and easy to get compared to straight 10 grade or castor oil

vw54 - January 9th, 2008 at 06:08 AM

Kev chickenfillet

Can you advise how much all those bits were from George or send me a PM if you dont want to advertise it

mactaylor - January 9th, 2008 at 06:22 AM

wasnt there a aussie bloke making vane chargers as well? man they are a simple bit of gear good luck with the ghia.

chickenfillet - January 9th, 2008 at 07:55 AM

Hi Guys,

George did a test with teflon blades a while ago and they only lasted about 10 minutes before breaking, I think they need to be very stiff but kind of soft as vw54 mentioned to 'bed in'. They are talking about using a material called Torlon(?) but it is quite expensive at the moment.

As mactaylor said, these things are super simple, and the way prices are going at the moment someone will do a homage version soon for sure!

I'm sure George wouldn't mind me popping up his price list...

Support bracket - $12.00
Main Jet - $16.00
Vane set - $85.00
Bearing and seal set - $60.00
Gaskets (3) - $6.00
Tensioner - $125.00

If you have time he also offers a full rebuild of the blower, oiler, filter etc etc for $500 but he is flat out at the moment.

He finished the parts on New Years Day and they arrived yesterday all for a fixed $30 delivery fee.

Cheers,
Kevin

vw54 - January 9th, 2008 at 12:40 PM

thanks Fillet

what size is stamped on the main jet or is it blank

I have listen to all sorts of thinking regarding the blowers and mterials etc etc

In the end they cost more than an arm n a leg

Best off keeping the simple way of doing things you dont get problems that way mine has been running for ages

PHAT BUG - January 11th, 2008 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chickenfillet
If anyone knows where I can find/have made a slimline airfilter or carb top, I only have around 25mm from the top of the carb to the bottom of the drip tray of the decklid.

Cheers,
Kevin

What about using a type 3 carby top??

chickenfillet - January 12th, 2008 at 01:59 PM

Hi Guys,

Had a flatout week and only managed to strip it down and clean. Will try and get it back together next week. The new jet does not have a size stamped into it but I will email George to ask.

Phat Bug would you have a pic of a type 3 carb top or any dimensions? (mainly the thickness) as I am trying to get as stock a look as possible.

Cheers,
Kevin

chickenfillet - January 17th, 2008 at 08:03 PM

Finally got some time to work on the Judson, replaced all the seals & bearings, repainted the body and gave the rotor a bit of a clean up. I'll pop it back together over the weekend and then start the install as soon as I can track down a slim enough air filter, does anyone have any ideas/pics or dimensions?

Cheers,
Kev

vw54 - January 18th, 2008 at 06:27 AM

what engine r u fitting the blower to and what carby

the Type 3 carby is a good idea but i dont think it will fit to a Beetle carby It has a bolt fitting attached to the top that allows the air filter to be fitted You may have to get something made from steel tubing that takes the air entry tube down n away from the carby top to then allow the filtting of a normal or judson air filter