Board Logo

My Type 3
marv - December 10th, 2007 at 08:02 PM

Just got a new toy for christmas - this is a 72(?) in great nick. My 2 previous VWs were low light kombis but I could never get them to handle well. I decided to give up on VWs all together a few months ago but just love 'em too much. This one's got a a newish 1600, short shift trans (great to drive), origninal books, a few tears inside and rust in the usual spots but nothing that can't be taken care of. The plan is to lower it, tighten the suspension, overhaul the inside and maybe a new paint job. I'll ya posted.
Marv

jo_tas - December 10th, 2007 at 08:25 PM

Looks like a damn good base to start off with!!

Tazz - December 11th, 2007 at 06:26 AM

Nice pickup Marv....
Just fill out the rest of your profile so local dubbers can keep an eye out for ya and give ya the thumbs up!

Tazz

baybuscamperkid - December 11th, 2007 at 11:09 AM

nice, near identical to my old one, great fun to drive, but i recommend putting some weight in the front boot for highway driving, will make a world of difference. I also put wide 14s on mine and the improvement in grip was fantastic.

marv - December 11th, 2007 at 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baybuscamperkid
nice, near identical to my old one, great fun to drive, but i recommend putting some weight in the front boot for highway driving, will make a world of difference. I also put wide 14s on mine and the improvement in grip was fantastic.

I often thought about weighting the front of my kombis to stop the "floating" feeling at high speed. What can you recommend for weighting the wagon?

vw54 - December 11th, 2007 at 07:22 PM

where u at Marv

marv - December 12th, 2007 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vw54
where u at Marv [/quote

I'm in Highett

baybuscamperkid - December 13th, 2007 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by marv
Quote:
Originally posted by baybuscamperkid

I often thought about weighting the front of my kombis to stop the "floating" feeling at high speed. What can you recommend for weighting the wagon?

doesnt take much, even 10kgs will make a difference, just make sure you have your spare inplace and a good set of tools wedged in with the spare. the lightness/wind wander was only really noticeable in mine over 80kph, never bad enough to be dangerous, I'd just chuck any luggage I had in there if I was driving any great distance on a freeway. You'll notice it pretty quick, just feel the difference between driving on a freeway with a full and empty fueltank. when I had my kombi i had a stupidly heavy weight bullbar on it. never wandered once in the wind.